Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL=Truck :D

Ya i figured it had been done before, but I just wanted to add my own little spin on it. :D

I will have to get a whole new frame, her's is rusted out. and I will have to convert her to a 4wd.

The way I have it figured is I will be able to chop some of the wheel well once its lifted, and I can design the bed to rest over it, giving it storage under the bed ( kinda like that honda truck)

I want to chop the rear hatchand convert to tailgate.

and design a vinyl, snap/velcro rear cover (like a jeep= fun in summer :D)

it would be more of a hobby project :P

If youve got frame rot then that will be a hell of a project because these cars are unibody. Might be easier to start with a less rusty 4wd version, if you can find one cheap. But if you have mad fab skills, you can fix all the rust and/or build a subframe for it. I would say subframe it, it will add strength that you would otherwise lose when you chop the top off.

-Bill

good point, ill think about it, All i was thinkin of savin from original was basically just the engine and other misc parts :D I figured I would have to get a full new body, but Maybe sub frame reconstruction will work lol.

I have NEVER done any body work before lol, but I would like to learn, a problem I will run into is im allergic to resin soaked fiberglass (not sure if it is the resin or the fiberglass that im allergic too) :/

umm I think anywhere from 7-10 before starting up again. We have 4 more months of the snow... Im not used to this much snow, where i used to live we would get 2 inches MAX and it usually melted in the following couple of days.

former residence= Washington state

As am I a former Washingtonian.

Glad to get outta there. :)

-Jaren

I like the truck! I plywooded the rear of my 82 over the rear seats, after taking them out of course, And that gave me storage and speaker slots along with a 6" + sleeping area larger than original, i.e. just big enough! My gl is my lumber wagon.

So we just got 7+ inches in seattle and for the first time it was to down to 14 F. Prolly gone soon but it happened once! 200+ people sleddind and skiing Denny ave from capitol hill by 2am last night.

We have 37.5 inches...:rolleyes:

-Jaren

GRRRR. How come it's not snowing in Colorado? I grew up in north eastern WA, and it was usualy way snowier there than it is in Colorado. I even moved up to 9,300 feet elevation, and it isn't helping. We have maybe 8" on the ground here now (not very uniform because of the wind). If the weather doesn't improve here, I'm going to have to move back to washington or idaho.

I like your rendering. I had a 4 door GL "truck" that I brought to WCSS 8. 1987GL with a SPFI conversion, 3" lift and Super Swampers. There are pictures of it on here somewhere.

A friend of Michael Appel owns it now, though I got the notice to renew the tags a few months ago...

GRRRR. How come it's not snowing in Colorado? I grew up in north eastern WA, and it was usualy way snowier there than it is in Colorado. I even moved up to 9,300 feet elevation, and it isn't helping. We have maybe 8" on the ground here now (not very uniform because of the wind). If the weather doesn't improve here, I'm going to have to move back to washington or idaho.

Go for it man, we need more soob enthusiasts around here. :)

-Jaren