Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy--wiring diagram?? Heater blower INOP

Is there a color-coded wiring diagram for an early Legacy available online?

girlfriend has a 94 Legacy wagon whose HEATER BLOWER has not worked since the engine was replaced 2 years ago.

fuses are good--my next step is to try hot-wiring to test blower motor and then replacing the RELAY.

however there are some wires that are NOT HOOKED UP--by the drivers right knee. if I could figure out what color the wires need to be then maybe I can give it some power.

TIA.

Whack, er, gently tap the base of the motor (with something hard) with it turned on, see if it starts up. If it does, you just need a motor. If it does not work on all speeds, you'll need the resistor block as well... 4 wires, white plug, on the front of the heater box behind glove box. It is metal, about 1.5 x 2.5 inches held in place with two phillips screws. I would suspect a relay if whacking it does not work, just remember to check for power at the fan before digging too deep, maybe even leaving a tester on the wires to see if it comes on while digging, you may have a short... however unlikely.

Lewis

I ussually suspect relays way before motors. The blower motor is super easy to access the plug for testing. If you get voltage to the fan,relay is fine. If not, the relay can be accessed by removing the lower dash panel below the column. Then you can reach straight through the opening at the left side, behind the "tray". The Blower relay has a whitish/clearish connector and is on of the standard round type relay Subaru uses for everything.

However just yesterday I had to repalce a blower motor. It can happen.

Removing the blower is a bit harder. I had to unscrew the hinges for the glovebox and remove glovebox. I also had to loosen the lower corner, passenger side dash bolt(behind cover, far right lower of dash) just enough to make it flex a hair to get the blower to clear. All in all fairly easy.

tools required:

Multimeter or test light

Phillips screwdriver.

Ratchet and a 8mm and 10mm sockets.