Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'79 GL 4x4 - issues

Hello!

I have been lurking for awhile, but now I have my sights set on a vehicle. A guy is selling his '79 GL & I would like to know if there are any particular problem spots to check out. It runs well now & I plan on going through it to make it a daily driver. What to look/listen for?

Also it has a cloudy windshield & the guy said he couldn't get it to clear up - any tricks? Baring that, what other models/years have the same windshield?

Thanks,

Caleb

Parts availiblilty might make you rethink using it as a daily driver. The pre-1980 Subaru's are getting near impossible to find parts for - the dealer doesn't even carry the head gaskets for the EA71 engines anymore.

Besides that the 4WD is high-range only and can't be converted to a dual-range transmission without also upgrading to the newer engine due to major differences in the bell-housings.

Frankly they are small (really small), poorly appointed, 63 HP, and no low-range.... nothing to offer unless you are a collector or enjoy the search for parts like windsheilds and gaskets.

Your windsheild can still be found - but the gaskets can't. There was a group-buy on them in the historic forum last I checked but without a new gasket you'll have to have a shop glue it in and it will look like crap.

Consider a Legacy or even an EA81 car for a daily instead. The Historic stuff is better left to those who can restore them at their liesure. You can restore, or you can drive, but you can't do both. Take it from someone that has 2 restoration projects currently and three more drivers. There's a reason us old-school Subaru fans end up with a whole fleet of the things.

GD

Now the other side.

We have windshield gaskets. There's at least 4 windshields here in CT and more elsewhere.

I've used my '78 wagon as a daily driver at times for the last eight years with absolutely NO major repairs.

For the money its been my best car,hands down. Once was our only runner in the dead of winter with one infant and a toddler,for about 5 weeks. Our other cars had issues pop up and an accident so there was the old stand by workhorse that it is.

You won't find a more reliable engine. Regardless of listed hp you can get some zip out of your car and enjoy not being a nuisance like the hp hungry mouthbreathers.

The factory service manuals can be had for peanuts on eBay. There's a healthy support group. Most of us have found these cars extremely easy to maintain.

Cheers

Knowledge is power with these older ones. Stay well connected to the small group of enthuaists and you will do fine.

Yes, they can be daily drivers, (not daily BEATERS....they don't do well with that) and the parts that are harder to find won't keep you from getting to work. Myself and others have PLENTY of both the mechanicals and the goodies to share.

Yes, the front weatherstrip is available and the rear glass weatherstrip can be substituted with a VW beetle one perfectly!

Todd

Thanks guys! My Internet was down this weekend so had to wait to get back to work to check your replies.

Your sentiments echo what I have heard here from locals. The local Suby "expert" does not even want to give it a checkup - says it is "yard art" without even seeing. Others have said that the ea71 is the most reliable engine Subaru ever made & the car will be very reliable & easy to maintain... go figure.

I have alway felt a solid older vehicle is the way to go. I have owned 74 VW bus, 75 BMW 2002, 84 Toy 4runner, 88 Toy Landcruiser, & currently own 88 VW Syncro Vanagon 4x4, 90 vanagon gl....... so.. no stranger to older cars. Just want to get opinions on reliability & parts availability.

PS: Anyone verify that Toluene works on the windows?

Thanks again, Caleb

Your sentiments echo what I have heard here from locals. The local Suby "expert" does not even want to give it a checkup - says it is "yard art" without even seeing. Others have said that the ea71 is the most reliable engine Subaru ever made & the car will be very reliable & easy to maintain... go figure.

I have alway felt a solid older vehicle is the way to go. I have owned 74 VW bus, 75 BMW 2002, 84 Toy 4runner, 88 Toy Landcruiser, & currently own 88 VW Syncro Vanagon 4x4, 90 vanagon gl....... so.. no stranger to older cars. Just want to get opinions on reliability & parts availability.

I like the solid older vehicle myself... old, but not worn out. New cars are nice, but... expensive, impossible to maintain yourself, and I like a vehicle with style (which I personally don't think much newer than... 1980ish.... really has (there are exceptions, of course)), and I also like tinkering. I don't get to do much tinkering on my subarus... they tend to just run.

Thanks guys! My Internet was down this weekend so had to wait to get back to work to check your replies.

PS: Anyone verify that Toluene works on the windows?

Thanks again, Caleb

Nice selection of vehicles !!! You'll do fine. :)