Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Volume test?

Hi,

i got an 85 Subaru Brat with the 2 Barrel Hicrappy.

I've had a problem with my brat dying in turns and rough idle.

Im currently cursing the fuel pump for these problems

But i like to get some input from you guys

1)I got a rebuild kit and put everything together correctly

A) Im very mechanically inclined,so i knew what was goin on

2)The fuel level in the bowl is low regaurdless how many times

I've adjusted it.

A)many times ive adjusted it

3)Both the fuel filters have been changed

A) duh

B)is there some kind of filter inside the tank

C)fuel quality is good

4)Did a fuel psi check and came out with 2psi and the manuals

say 2.6 to 3.3

A)does this 0.6 make a difference?

B)Is there some kinda Pump Volume Specifications

C)is there some kinda of fuel pump relay that would

cause this problem

C1) If So where is it located

I know this is fairly drawn out but any help is greatly appreciated

thanx,

John Sellers

My Weber does this too - the increased fuel demand on the 20 year old pump I think is too much. Your's might be bad enough to cause the hitachi problems too. I've suspected the fuel pump on mine for a while, since it's the only component of the system that hasn't been replaced with new parts. Brand new Weber, brand new filters (air and fuel), and I still have it bog down on hard left turns. I say get a new one - or a universal one with around 3 or 4 psi. If you ever go to a Weber you'll want it anyway I think.

GD

Well - our systems are quite different - for one I'm running a Weber and a different front fuel filter (clear type - aftermarket). And our pumps are probably different models - since your's is an EA82, and mine's an EA81. It's hard to say exactly what your problem is torxx - heck it's hard to say *exactly* what mine is - I just *feel* that it's the pump, as that's the only thing that I haven't replaced with new parts..... the chances of my float being off are extremely slim in my opinion, as the carb came directly from Weber in the kit for my exact engine model....

GD

ok, so I eiether need to replace the ****achi with another one or get a weber....

I think I may de-emission a hitachi and use that. cheaper.. heh

Anyone have a diagram of the plates that need to be fabbed to block off the ASV ports into the exhaust?

Your correct - I can't *assume* anything - but like any mechanic, I'm going with the most likely problem first. I have no reason to question the float level, and I've also heard many times here on the board from people who have this same problem - and adjusting their float did nothing to fix it. Couple that with much reading on Weber carbs noting that with our stock fuel pumps we are running the wrong pressure, and since they are 20+ years old, this is even further reduced - the fuel pump looks like a very likely target for replacement.

Also add to that the fact that I have heard NO reports of incorrect float levels on factory built Weber's - I think their quality control on something like that is probably very good - considering their reputation in the market. I think we would be hearing Jeep and Toyota people screaming bloody murder if that were the case.

GD

well just replaced fuel pump......little better still have low float condition just got new float......seems more buoyant than the other one b/c the plastic one i got is saturated and or the float tabs are just worn out of spec........So im gonna try out this brass one today and see how it checks out.....ill holla back at yall

john sellers

85 Brizat

well its works now its seem i had been adjusting the float with the needle valve spring compressed instead of uncompressed

:banghead: D'OH anyhow now im having the typical hicrappy

problem of gaining rev in left hand turns and losing them in right

now i have something else to figure out but hell at least its drivable now......

later on,

john sellers

John, if I recall correctly, the float needs to be adjusted with the bowl cover upside down and the float hanging.

There are also two places on the tab to bend and make adjustment.

I'll see if I can find the sheet from the rebuild kit and scan it for you.

At the very least, it sounds like you need to have a higher fuel level.

i already checked that as well...i got the sight gauge on the float bowl zero'd perfectly so its got all the fuel it needs....now im trying to touble shoot everthing else with my vaccum gauge and adjusting timing.....when i find out everthing i ll post my findings.....maybe there is a cure

john sellers