Ultimate Subaru Message Board

10W-20 oil recomm. @ endwrench ???

I googled "endwrench automatic transmission fluid" ...then when you get to the google page ...2nd from the top..."todays cars and trucks are highly technical marvels"...which leads to tranny,coolant etc. and motor oil recommendations like 5/30..but under severe/hot service..the rec. oil is 10w/30..or.."10w20"..I have never heard of a 10W20 except when used in racing..does anyone have any other info as to why this thinner oil is recommended

Edited by Petersubaru

10W-20 is used in some Honda's. i doubt subaru advises to use it in north america though. give us the link to the article.
..I don't know how to send links..but I have "re-written" my orginal post to make it hopefully easier to get too..or go to... endwrench 2006 issue..look up fluid maintenance..go with the flow Edited by Petersubaru

i considered using the address for the pictures of the wet t-shirt contest at harry's in key west.

I would hope that Harry's would get more hits.

I know some Honda/Acura's take a 5w20 that is a spec that's a little hard to find.

I believe Ford has a 5w20 as well - but I don't own or service any Fords.

An old race engine builder told me long ago to run the lightest weight possible.

His theory was that with thin oil it'll get everywhere. Thicker oil may lubricate 95% of the engine better - but that last 5% is what will kill it. Once it needs rebuilt it's the labor that kills you. Says he ran straight 10 weight in his Ford pickup he'd had since new and never had an issue. This was 25 years ago or so and the truck was probably atleast 10-15 years old. Long before I recall 5w30 becoming the defacto standard to help meet fuel effeciency ratings, etc.

I have a tendency to not go to thicker oils on my high mileage stuff. And run it in Subaru's no matter the mileage (5w30). In the old days over 100k meant going 10w30 or 10w40 for me.

If we're not careful this will become and oil 'brand' discussion.

Dave

I would hope that Harry's would get more hits.

I know some Honda/Acura's take a 5w20 that is a spec that's a little hard to find.

I believe Ford has a 5w20 as well - but I don't own or service any Fords.

An old race engine builder told me long ago to run the lightest weight possible.

His theory was that with thin oil it'll get everywhere. Thicker oil may lubricate 95% of the engine better - but that last 5% is what will kill it. Once it needs rebuilt it's the labor that kills you. Says he ran straight 10 weight in his Ford pickup he'd had since new and never had an issue. This was 25 years ago or so and the truck was probably atleast 10-15 years old. Long before I recall 5w30 becoming the defacto standard to help meet fuel effeciency ratings, etc.

I have a tendency to not go to thicker oils on my high mileage stuff. And run it in Subaru's no matter the mileage (5w30). In the old days over 100k meant going 10w30 or 10w40 for me.

If we're not careful this will become and oil 'brand' discussion.

Dave

..as a reminder..I am only trying to understand why the endwrench article contained the statement .."for severe..10W-20 motor oil recom."

Dunno, but I kinda think that 5/20w might not offer really good protection against wear, certainly not in hot summer conditions.

I use a high quality full synthetic oil...5/40 year round in my 2000 Legacy.

Don't get much in the way of sub zero winters in my neck of the woods.

5/40 synthetic should work well down to zeroºtemps and maybe a bit below that, and in above 100º F summer temps 5/40 works well.

10W-20 isn't something i'd use, so i'll move on and ignore it.

Says he ran straight 10 weight in his Ford pickup he'd had since new and never had an issue. This was 25 years ago or so and the truck was probably atleast 10-15 years old.
if it was a straight 6 300 inline Ford engine then it probably would have done fine on any weight oil. those are great motors, underpowered for big work but last forever.