Ultimate Subaru Message Board

welding my rear end?

It is a bit of a fight to drive it on ice after welding the rear, the car will push real bad. On mine I just shift it back into 2WD when cornering, that helps ALOT. Or if U know that U are gona be driving on ice ahead of time just pull 1 axle in the rear 1st and then U can leave it in 4WD and have NO PROBLEMS!;)

WELD IT! WELD IT! WELD IT! WELD IT!

yeah..

I'm kinda thinkin about LSD now cuz of the ice track we have up here..

Right now with my 3.9 rear, I gotta really throw my car into corners or it understeers and does that sideplow ****..

LSD is gonna make it a 2 wheel spinnin wonder in 4wd aint it?

Yeah, if this is gona be your driver I would go with an LSD. That will help on ice, snow, and every thing. It will not be an off-road hero with it, but it will be better than the open dif. It (LSD) will keep 2 tires turnig in the back untill 1 comes off the ground, and not both @ the same speed all the time like a welded dif. ;)

I think if your ever gona run it on dry pavment that a welded diff is a bad idea. I welded the diff on my Loyal a wile back it it tore the rear axles up, it also did not like to take off in a turn. It would spin the front tire for a long time if you really took of fast in 2WD turning. It is however the shizznicky for off-road.

I wouldn't.

Welds are just fine. Hooks up AWESOME in snow. Understeers bad on ice because unlike a locker that has give, a weld has no give.. the end result is "slide-ways"

Basically in corners, the outside tire spins a bit more than the inside. Lockers are designed to accept the change. Welds aren't, The inside tires will generally break loose by the difference in tire rotation speed on the outside tire. It sorta helps it go sideways.

For snow only.. definately the way to go..

Ice.. Well.. I definately have yet to get an LSD.. I'll definately be getting one.

My opinion is... get both.

i have an 89 GL-10 wagon turbo, fulltime 4wd, 5 speed, and a center diff locker. im fairly new to this subaru stuff, so i dont know how hard it would be to locate an OEM locker in case you wanted to go that route.

my bad, the switch locks the center diff, not the rear... :banghead: