Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL-10 EA82T auto Transmission case & shaft

Have you had luck finding a tailshaft?

You can use a tailshaft off of any pre 98 4eat. However, the mounts are different and you have to drill the crossmember. Also it amkes a tighter fit in the tunnel and makes a knock when decelerating if the mounts aren't really sturdy.

If you preffer, and can wait for shipping, I have an excact replacement from an 89 GL Turbo. Then you could reuse all you're mounts with no problems. I The trans is junk but I could ship you the tailshaft pretty easily. It's light without the steel in it. PM me for details if you want.

That bent rod has a good amount of adjustibility.

Glad to hear it. It sounds like if I can bend it at all to make it straighter, that might be enough, even if it isn't perfect.

Just make sure the shifter is in sync with the transmission. By this I mean when eg the shifter indicates D, the transmission is in D and not say R.

This could be important!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to two USMB members, I have a rear transmission case and a driveshaft. Thank you!

I am having trouble finding a gasket for the case. I went to a Kragens and they directed me to a "filter kit" that they said would have the gasket. I'm thinking it might be the wrong gasket (probably the bottom pan gasket).

Kragen's online site via CKS / shop.oreillyauto.com seems to indicate that there might be an "A/T Case Gasket", but it is grayed out. They seem to have only a "Transmission Pan Gasket".

Somebody on a VIN thread said that NAPA was the only one that got parts right, but their site was completely clueless about 1988 Subaru models, giving me no options that make sense for GL-10 (not even Loyale or Legacy).

Googling for it or using Google Shopping results give me hits for pan gaskets or O-ring type seals or expensive transmission rebuild kits.

Do I have to buy raw gasket sheeting and cut my own?

I was just gonna use RTV -sparingly- on mine. I think that gasket is OEM only.

BTW, that driveshaft doesn't look bad compared to mine, and I reused mine with a slip yoke from TBID. Partsamerica.com has the universal joint, you just need to file out the stake spots.

Edited by 4x4_Welder

The case gasket is pn 31337AA120, about $5. If you want to, you could also get qty two pn 31954AA071; this is for the transfer valve "Duty C" gasket and pn 31946AA022; this is the filter for the transfer valve.

The dealer here in Santa Rosa had the gaskets in stock when I bought mine.

The case gasket is 0.4mm thick and is part of the end play calculation, so don't leave it out. Because you are replacing the extension housing, you should definitely check your end play. You might also need to purchase a different thrust bearing.

If you don't, it could ruin the thrust bearing and break off the transfer clutch hub. It has happened to others.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48505

Download this:

http://www.mshoup.us/docs/fsm/EA82/88_XT_Section_2&3.zip

Read section 3-2, page 135. It describes how to measure the end play.

Edited by presslab

I didn't realize the gasket was that readily available. I also realized I need a bearing as well, the needle bearing the nose of the output rides on. Don't know that they will have that one, but there are a couple good bearing shops around here that can cross a number.

Does anybody have a pic of how the park pawl and spring fits in there?

On edit:

The cause is a seized u-joint. Since these joints usually run at about 0º, the lubricant doesn't get moved around, and the joint just solidifies. This isn't noticed until the driveshaft or transmission moves a little, like getting on it hard, or a mount letting go, then the joint breaks free and wobbles off center for a while. Since the parts are so light and rubber mounted, the vibration isn't overly noticeable, so it continues and forces the now completely dry joint to flex a little, building heat until it totally fails. When the driveshaft gets far enough off center, the weight of the whipping force is more than the case can handle, and the case fails.

There's my latest crack at failure analysis.

Edited by 4x4_Welder

This what basicly happened. I moved to a new place up a long very steep hill. That may have stressed the driveshaft in ways it wasn't before.

would you or anyone else be so kind as to

give reason for this canrage? A flailing driveshaft would be behind this section. and What caused the driveshaft front yoke to gernade?

The cause is a seized u-joint. Since these joints usually run at about 0º, the lubricant doesn't get moved around, and the joint just solidifies. This isn't noticed until the driveshaft or transmission moves a little, like getting on it hard, or a mount letting go, then the joint breaks free and wobbles off center for a while. Since the parts are so light and rubber mounted, the vibration isn't overly noticeable, so it continues and forces the now completely dry joint to flex a little, building heat until it totally fails. When the driveshaft gets far enough off center, the weight of the whipping force is more than the case can handle, and the case fails. There's my latest crack at failure analysis.

Thank you for the part number! The local dealer had it in stock and I got it at $5.80. They didn't have the other parts in stock.

I don't think I can easily check end play. I am going to proceed on the notion that the replacement case is an exact replacement and will work well because I'm not replacing the inner parts (as illustrated in the photo with the gears). Thanks for the repair manual and the link. I don't think there is any internal damage to the transmission. (I certainly hope it is all ok).

The case gasket is pn 31337AA120, about $5. If you want to, you could also get qty two pn 31954AA071; this is for the transfer valve "Duty C" gasket and pn 31946AA022; this is the filter for the transfer valve.

The case gasket is 0.4mm thick and is part of the end play calculation, so don't leave it out. Because you are replacing the extension housing, you should definitely check your end play. You might also need to purchase a different thrust bearing.

If you don't, it could ruin the thrust bearing and break off the transfer clutch hub. It has happened to others.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48505

Download this: http://www.mshoup.us/docs/fsm/EA82/88_XT_Section_2&3.zip Read section 3-2, page 135. It describes how to measure the end play.

I would advise you not to use RTV on automatic trannies, ATF fluid eats sillicone like I eat pie, and you'll have a leak in no time

I got Permatex Sensor-Safe Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. I intend to use it sparingly as only a gasket sealant (I got the regulation gasket). There were many varieties of Permatex at Kragens. I think this will work fine and help if I use it very thinly, but should I have gotten something else? Is it possible to simply use the gasket with no sealer?