Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slipping clutch in a 1995 Legacy 5-speed

Guest mattocs

Sometimes when I am accelerating my tacometer rises really fast...but I accelerate...but not all the power is going to the wheels...if I let off the gas the tac will drop down to normal...I think my clutch is slipping or something?

Anyone know anything about this? I know its time to replace my clutch...it has 193,500 miles on it. Anyone know how much this would cost to replace plus labor? Any tips or hints?

Guest Sydfloyd44

Cost me about $700 thru the dealer (Apple in York, PA) if I remember correct. I would NOT do that again!! Not because of the cost (which is probably high?) but because of the chattering I had for quite a while afterwards. (still have it a little) Still don't know why I didn't take it to my regular mechanic who knew exactly what was causing the chattering. (sorry, forgot what he said but it was something they didn't do while they had it apart). He said it is not uncommon for a dealer to do this. His opinion was "while it is apart, why the hell not do it!!!!!". I agree and will NEVER make the same mistake!!!

Hopefully someone else here will know what I am talking about when I speak of what it was they didn't do to cause the chatter. Whatever it is, MAKE SURE IT IS DONE WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR CLUTCH REPLACED!!!! The chattering will make you crazy!

Guest pray4wind

What the dealer didn't do, that your mechanic told you they should have done, is mostlikely to have the flywheel resurfaced...which according to some, including Subaru, should not be done...but many mechanics do, just because it's common practice on most other cars.

Why Subaru does not recommend resurfacing the flywheel, I'm not quite sure about..:rolleyes:

Guest Sydfloyd44

Thats the ticket!!!

Yep, that is what he said. But trust me, the chattering just isn't worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!