Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Markus56 getting lifted!!

one eye

i might have some time later today. i know he discontinued the 2inch kit.

i would just get the 4 pieces of steel, drill the wholes 2inches apart and bend them out at about 15 degrees and call it good.

yeah that's what I plan on doing. Thanks again! I also need to know the distance between the two mount bolts on the top, the 17mm ones. Thanks

thats how my SJR lift is on the back, never had any problems. i just put locktyte on all the hardware.

ok thanks. So sorry for so many questions but, I have some 1/4" thick pieces of steel that measure like 1" wide, would those work? They don't need any cross bracing or anything? Thanks again, I'm just not familiar with doing it this way, but this would be much easier than the way I have always done it.

ok thanks. So sorry for so many questions but, I have some 1/4" thick pieces of steel that measure like 1" wide, would those work? They don't need any cross bracing or anything? Thanks again, I'm just not familiar with doing it this way, but this would be much easier than the way I have always done it.

A little bit of cross bracing wouldn't be a bad idea. If they were welded together with a cross bar to make the shape of a capital H; you wouldn't have what I see as a potential problem with the pieces rotating forward or back of center. I know I've seen this problem twice already on that style of bracket. A light piece of cross bracing would eliminate this possibility, and you could even do it once you install the pieces on the car.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to make a total of 4 of the blocks on the upper part of this diagram. You will need 2 of these blocks for the driver's side, and you will need 2 of these blocks for the passenger side.

You then need to make 2 of the blocks from the lower part of this diagram. You need 1 of those blocks for the driver's side, and you need 1 for the passenger side. These blocks are for the front (as in front of the car, closer to the radiator than the other two mounting points) mounting point for each strut because the other design of block will not fit in between the strut, and the body.

i understand how to make the blocks, my guess is they are designed to move the top of the struts to the outside of the car. what is the reason for doing this?

i'm new to lifts.

Edited by johnceggleston

i understand how to make the blocks, my guess is they are designed to move the top of the struts to the outside of the car. what is the reason for doing this?

i'm new to lifts.

They are actually used for moving the tops to the inside. This is to take care of the camber issue that you would get if you just dropped the strut straight down

• 2 weeks later...
They are actually used for moving the tops to the inside. This is to take care of the camber issue that you would get if you just dropped the strut straight down

Time for an ultra-noob question:

Could someone put up a pic of the angled blocks installed? I'm trying to picture this in my head but I don't think its right. So you would be installing the blocks so that they move the top of the strut towards the inner fender, correct? And because I have an '83 GL, I'd only have to do this to the front and then crank up the rear-end?

:confused::confused::confused:

Time for an ultra-noob question:

Could someone put up a pic of the angled blocks installed? I'm trying to picture this in my head but I don't think its right. So you would be installing the blocks so that they move the top of the strut towards the inner fender, correct? And because I have an '83 GL, I'd only have to do this to the front and then crank up the rear-end?

:confused::confused::confused:

These are not angled but it will give you some Ideas!! check this thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97436

Jeff

I decided to do a lift like yours (87 wagon), I couldn't get any 2x2, unless I wanted to pay $57 for a 5 foot piece of new, so I found a 3x3 piece .250 dom.

I am new to subs, what else (other that the front struts and rear shocks) am I going have to lift/drop, I apologize for my noobness. I am pretty good at figuring stuff out, just want an idea before I tear into the suspension.

thanks,

Dan

3 inch is going to put a bit more stress on your front axles. Most people with this 2 inch lift have stuck with only going 2 inches for a reason. Even with just the 2 inches; the axles are already stressed a bit, and at full suspension droop, they will rub a bit. I'd be a bit surprised if you can fit the 3 inch blocks in there, as we've had a bit of trouble on a few cars just getting the 2 inch blocks in.

For the style of lift in this thread you only need to drop the front struts, and rear struts. That is all that is required. If you want to go any bigger; you will need to do a complete lift. It requires alot more blocks, and quite a bit more work. But, with this lift; you'll need 6 blocks to lift the front struts (there's a diagram floating around here somewhere), and flatbar bent to drop the rear struts at the top, from their original mounting position (or another way of dropping the struts).

I just did this lift on my new sedan!! It works great and it's incredibly easy to make and especially install! I didn't even need to remove the strut!! Just drop the top down, and then put block in from the top and bolt in place, all from the top!! Thanks for the idea!! I'll post pics soon in my other thread

I just did this lift on my new sedan!! It works great and it's incredibly easy to make and especially install! I didn't even need to remove the strut!! Just drop the top down, and then put block in from the top and bolt in place, all from the top!! Thanks for the idea!! I'll post pics soon in my other thread

Pics????????????

Jeff