Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife's '95 Legacy 2.2L has a cold start problem.

After sitting overnight in sub freezing temps it starts

really hard, and when it does start it chugs a bit.

Then it's fine.

When the temps are freezing or above it's not an

issue.

The car has new plugs, new plug wires, and we just

put a new fuel filter on.

What do you think????

hows the battery ,my 95 legacy did the same thing until i changed the battery mine was 7 years old , may or may not be the problem , autozone will check it for free,here is another thing since you in the deep freeze put a block heater on it ,

Edited by 86subaru

Have run into fuel problems on cold start several times. Will start hard and then die, after a couple of times will start and run ok, discovered that the poor volatility of some gasolines has a major effect on cold starts, clears up due to cylinder temperature coming up and excess fuel in cylinders from cranking and stalling. If this is the case, usually is easily cured by switching brand of fuel, or by adding a high quality fuel additive, such as lucas.

Haven't noticed any rad fan issues.

I have wondered about there being a temperature

sensor that would tell the computer when to apply

additional fuel. Would that be the coolant temp sensor?

We've done the fuel thing, it's have a few tanks of fuel

through it since this showed up. Added Heat and some

other additive/inj cleaner.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

What weight oil are you running? On my last oil change some *dojo* put in heavier oil than I run (let's just say it wasn't 5/30) and Dragon really didn't like starting in 14 degree weather. I knew my battery needed replacement, but even with a fully-charged fresh battery she didn't want to turn over and stay that way without a tap on the gas pedal (more than one, actually). She ran as rough as a washboard until she was up to full operating temp. Once she was hot she was running/starting as usual. Less than 1 year on NGK's, 60/40 antifreeze, gas with Heet and topped up with Premium. Couldn't figure out the cause until I called the dealer who'd done the oil change while I was on the road. Yes, they'd used heavier oil than I'd requested.

Replaced oil with lighter, usual weight. No problems now.

I wouldn't want to run with thicker oil in the c-c-cold weather we've all been having. If you do track this down to the oil I'd say a block heater is in your future if you're already running 5/30. Wish I had one this year! Maybe even a battery warmer.

So does everyone else in Seattle; none to be had. All backordered...:(

My wife's '95 Legacy 2.2L has a cold start problem.

After sitting overnight in sub freezing temps it starts

really hard, and when it does start it chugs a bit.

Then it's fine.

When the temps are freezing or above it's not an

issue.

The car has new plugs, new plug wires, and we just

put a new fuel filter on.

What do you think????

Could be the coolant temp sensor, they act like this when they go bad.

I have wondered about there being a temperature

sensor that would tell the computer when to apply

additional fuel. Would that be the coolant temp sensor?

Thats correct sir,

If you want to test it

the Factory Service Manual

shows

for 68 deg F the resistance should be 2.0 - 3.0 kilo OHMS

for 176 deg F the resistance should be 0.3 - 0.4 kilo OHMS

Here is a procedure for changing it with some good pictures

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/CoolantTempSensor.html

l I'd say a block heater is in your future if you're already running 5/30. Wish I had one this year! Maybe even a battery warmer.

So does everyone else in Seattle; none to be had. All backordered...:(

Growing up in Spokane/N. ID, and now living in Colorado, it seems kind of strange that anyone in Seattle would even need a block heater.... In Colorado, I only have one on the diesel truck, none of the gas vehicles, and they all start fine in single digit temps all winter.

Of course... I'm sure all the people in Minnesota and Alaska are laughing at me thinking that Colorado or Idaho is cold .... Single digits... you mean positive numbers? :lol:

Could be the coolant temp sensor, they act like this when they go bad.

Give that man a lollypop.

Coolant Temp Sensor.

Wont throw a code because the car has to be running to throw a code, and once the car starts, its no longer an issue. I bet the CTS has a prblem at the bottm end (cold) of the resistance range.

nipper

• 11 years later...

Solved ....I have the same cold start problem with cold starts on our 2010 Outback with the 2.5 engine. No codes, all looks good on the scantool .

I just discovered by chance that if I get in the car, turn on the ignition, wait 15 seconds before actually starting the car, then it starts with no problem in the cold.

It is as though the computer needs a few seconds to get oriented before you crank the engine .

Edited by cccccc
forgot to type a word