Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which trans to buy

I've found two 5spd d/r 3.9 trans nearish to me.

Option 1 - 170ish k $100 (1987)

Option 2 - 130ish k $200 (1985)

Both about equal distance from me. Is 40k worth $100 in ea81/82 trannies?

How hard is it to change the synchros in these things?

Thanks!

Will-

Edited by lostinthe202
add a question

awesome you found some will!

he brings up a good point, i wonder if there are any other differences that might make the newer one "beefier" and better or something? or not?

subaru manual trans are robust little jokers and particularly if you're getting EA series stuff, they typically have'nt seen much "power". though you don't know their maintenance history or how they were driven.

thoughts:

if you plan on driving this thing 100,000+ more miles then the lower sounds more appealing.

if you think you'll only put 30k (average for a used trans of this vintage is probably really low), then i'd feel better about the higher mileage one.

could go have a look at them to compare? if the 170k one is spotless and looks well maintained and the other looks beat, scratched, dirty....etc, maybe that might help decide?

Those are some good points Gary. When I say "nearish" the two are both about 80 miles from me in opposite directions. 80 miles is actually nearish since if I'm going anywhere, I'm driving a 1/2 minimum, but still that's a bit of a haul. I might ask for some pics, though pics can lie, and see if that helps clear the waters any.

I am leaning towards the '87 'cause of the neutral switch issue. I actually don't know for sure that I don't need it, and the car in it's current form has one (all spfi cars have them right?) and because if the whole diesel nonsense doesn't work out I'll be putting an EJ22 in, I think it might be wise to go for it even though it's got higher miles. Or hold out for a newer one with less miles or cheaper. On the other hand, I know those switches aren't that hard to install so it's not THAT big of a deal.

I did find a yard somewhat near called "Crazy Ray's" (hehe) that sells trannies for $90 no matter what miles, condition or anything else. So since it's doubtful those other two are going anyplace, I'll hit that yard first and see if I get lucky.

As always, thanks everybody!!

Will-

i've been to crazy rays before. it's annoying you just have to stop in and rummage around their yard.

they are heavily weighted towards EJ cars and had very few EA stuff. that's what you get when you live in the affluent, spill over of DC, disney land of america! there were usually 5 or so older subarus and that was 4 or 5 years ago last i've been.

if it's the one around Columbia MD, right off Route 1, that's the one i've gone too. the older subaru's (non EJ stuff) are usually in the last row, furthest away. keep your eye on the perimeter of the furthest "yard" straight back.

Yeah, I've been to that one (it's the one in Jessup). They didn't have squat for EA cars, I don't think I saw a single one, but I was looking for EJ stuff at the time so I might not have noticed.

The one I'm planning on is in Mt. Airy, it's closer to Fredneck and is supposed to be better for the EA stuff.

I may even make the trek to B-more. There's a used machine tool dealer up there I've been meaning to visit and I always wanted to tour that submarine they've got up there so maybe I can make a day of it.

if you go to the mt airy location, let me know, ill meet up with you and show you where it is since it has an interesting driveway. lol

last time i was there, they had a few ea82 cars with 4wd and manual trans, but i was looking for other parts at the time.

That'd be great! I'm gonna try and hit it this weekend, probably saturday if the weather's decent.

My two cents.... I've had well over 200k on several 5 speed dual range transmissions, and none of them ground or had other problems. They seem to be pretty durable.

Can't say that for the 4 speed dual ranges... I've had several of them with around 200k, and grinding syncros, especially in 3rd gear, are common once they get older.

Z