Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, My brother recently bought an EJ22 5 speed legacy for 1000$ with a blown tranny, I had the driveline from a 98RS so 2 weeks later we have a fully operational Subaru, a nice one at that.

This is the dealo, When we looked at the Car turned on and ran like a top, receipts for bearings being replaced and many other various things.

The car was slanted forward for probably 3 days when in the meantime the rear diff and other PITA things were being dealt with. My brother decided to De-snork it, and replaced the EJ25 style intake ( dual filters, one standard panel, one right at throttle body) and just replace it with just the first panel filter.

Now we go to turn it on and right away the smell of gas is apparent, The Exhaust is fairly black at first then smooths out to a light white/ burnt gas color. Thier is moisture on the ground, light moisture and it is Gas.

You can get the car going if you rev it decently hard but it does not like idle, It will stall like a carbed moter coming to stops with the clutch after downshifting from third into second. The Car has no RPM gauge or Speed Sensor (There is no speed sensor attached as of now, Is this a problem?) It leans out higher in the rpm range, but you can feal the power, The Car has a mix of old 87 with new 91 and a desnork.

Things we did, Removed Spark plugs, Cranked over to clear Cylinders.

Conclusions, Ive heard of De-snorking these cars causing problems, But could it be that bad? Possibly a leaking injector O-ring, very unlikely. Maybe just run it through on the first tank of GAS and go back to 87?

This Car pulls really good for an EJ22, no exhaust leaks and the engine seems solid.

So the car dosent like to idle probably due to flooding and then the car dosent recieve enough fuel in the top end?

Whats are problem? Please help!

My brother decided to De-snork it, and replaced the EJ25 style intake ( dual filters, one standard panel, one right at throttle body) and just replace it with just the first panel filter.

My 2000 did not like not having the large volume of air in front of the TB

(Mine did not have a filter in it, just baffles)

but....it was a MAP system not a MAF system.

Which is this? I thought the MAP system started in 2000

The Car has no RPM gauge or Speed Sensor (There is no speed sensor attached as of now, Is this a problem?)

The ECU needs to know the speed and the RPM.

I believe it's in some form of "limp home" mode

due to these two inputs being missing.

check engine light and if so what codes?

sounds like the CEL should be on with a speed sensor code at least.

check those codes and see if there's any others than just the CEL.

maybe some nice person will disconnect their speed sensor and see what happens?

sounds a lot like a vacuum leak to me. spray some carb juice under the hood at various hoses.

My 2000 did not like not having the large volume of air in front of the TB

(Mine did not have a filter in it, just baffles)

but....it was a MAP system not a MAF system.

Which is this? I thought the MAP system started in 2000

The ECU needs to know the speed and the RPM.

I believe it's in some form of "limp home" mode

due to these two inputs being missing.

Its possible it in limp mode, however this car came stock form the factory with no RPM gauge. Im thinking because of this the speed sensor might be messing it up a bit?

Im going to tell him to get that other air filter anyways, thanks

check engine light and if so what codes?

sounds like the CEL should be on with a speed sensor code at least.

check those codes and see if there's any others than just the CEL.

maybe some nice person will disconnect their speed sensor and see what happens?

sounds a lot like a vacuum leak to me. spray some carb juice under the hood at various hoses.

Carb juice? what is that?

How do i run codes on this ECU? Yes it does have a CEL but im assuming due to lack of a speed sensor.

Carb juice = carb cleaner = flamable spray

1999 = OBD II = scan tool of some sort

and yes it will show the missing VSS but it may

show other problems.

Some auto parts houses will do this for free

Did you change the engine or just the tranny?

Canada, aye

This is a Brighton model no doubt.

Ummmm^^^ When did i say i swapped the intakes? lol

Picked up a scan tool and codes are as followed

P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire

p1540 Speed sensor( already knew that)

P0446 Evaporative Emission System vent control circuit. Probaly the random sensor i found un hooked, however i could not find where it reconnects. It is in the top left of the engine bay(passenger side) and it comes of the harness that has the two 02 sensors for the cats.

P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire

P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire

Set up the intake snorkus back to the stock configuration.

Replace the plugs and wires should get rid of the misfire code (although the misfires could be exagerated symtoms of the missing speed signal)

Evap solenoid is under the intake manifold, mounted between the intake and the Coolant pipe, passenger side. It is only a 2 wire solenoid, so probably not the 4 pin connector you refered to.

I am guessing that the 4 pin connector unhooked is for you're reverse light and neutral switch. Which would explain why it dies as you roll to a stop.

No nuetral switch signal and no speed signal. the ECU is having a real hard time deciding when the car is under load, coasting, rolling in gear, etc.....

So today i replaced the coil and the wires, this cleared all my misfire codes.

Go to start it up and does exactly the same thing wont idle and throtle is very unresponsive like when you let go it revs.

So we disassembled the whole intake up to the throtle body and my brother says, hEY LEts start it for ************s and giggles.

So when we start it up it runs perfectly and respends to throttle very good at idle however as soon as we hook up the m.a.f it shuts right down and goes back to its original symptoms....

What Gives?