Ultimate Subaru Message Board

official build thread.........this is monstaru2

monstaru

ok, got the mounting tabs mounted on the subframe and it is in place,one of the holes needs enlarged just a bit for clearance for the bolt.....i would say that being a 16th off is not to bad though.:)

shall widen the hole and get it mounted all the way up tomorrow,get the z parts mocked up ,fish plates cut out,along with some gussets mocked and we shall do some more welding this weekend.

i have to say that adding a 20 amp fuse in the basement has helped a bunch.i still can only weld when she is not working ,but that welder is surpassing my needs for right now.i am stoked about that.

once the frame is bolted static i will start working on the radius links.two of the weld in rod end bungs are wrong size for the tube i have so i have to get 2 more in town.once again brown bearing will save the day on that one......

no pics, will get some up tomorrrow.

cheers,, brain

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i got some more done.took the front suspension off ofr like the 50th time in the last couple of months and did some trimming.

'z"ing the frame has by far been the most difficult part of this.as i do not have a flat place to do the work, i have been doing it on the car.

i cut out the flaps that are dust shields on the "framerail" in the engine compartment then rolled the rest up and out of the way to give me a flat "framerail" to work with......then i set up the "z" middle pieces to get set up for the extension out to the front of the vehicle.

after cut

IMG_2546.jpg

rolled and out of the way

IMG_2544.jpg

front Z pieces added

IMG_2547.jpg

am about an 1/8th off front to back,but i think i can make it up in the front .everything is squared out so i think it is in the car body though.whatever,it will be hell for stout no matter what.

in a bit i will be taking the frame back out ,adding some fishplates that i have cut out for the top and bottom of the Z piece,as it is not flush on the ends(you can see in the pics)

add some gussets etc.....i am out to do that.cheers, brian

:popcorn: good to see another project being worked on brian, you going to finish this one? i'll hopefully be getting a chance to be working on mine late in march, when i have a week off from school. so where's the picture of the body? didn't see one when i was flipping through the pages.

yeah , it's good to get stuff done.i have gone leaps and bounds in comparison to the last attempt of a project.

it should be fun.i have some really cool parts comin this week.

it will not be solid for a while EZ, as i really want to drive the damn thing before the end of the year.

there are plenty of little surprises still left though.......should turn out well.

but i think i am on to something ,so i will continue this one until it is basically done.as i have a feeling it will continue to morph........

here ya go jared.the build album..........

cheers, brian

got some parts today.........:banana:

IMG_2550.jpg

hehehhehhehhehehehheh

IMG_2551.jpg

needless to say,STOKED!!!!!!!gotta get a shifter sheet,and take a look at the main bearings in the case.if they are ok, i will reseal,regasket and install!!!!!a little ways out for when it actually goes in, butWOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers, brian

that is the goal,as slow as things are right now, i would think so.i basically cango with what i have now and accomplish the goals that i wanted to.anything extra is a bonus.

i wanted a second transfer case,subframe is accomplishing that....

i wanted as low gears as i could get,well, i have 4.44s and 6.5 t-case gears(i didna go with 8-1 because i may drive it on the street occasionally,and they are like 200 more dollars)

i wanted to get mad lift and clearance,and i have it out back so far.

and i wanted to spend less than 2 grand doin it.so far i am about 850 into it.having or trading for most of it has worked out well.,we'll see how long it takes me to put solid axles under it after it is "done"..

and a fuse is a fuse!:lol:anyways,i hope to have it done by my birthday......in june.cheers, brian

i can hear the PING! already... :lol: so you going to have this thing done by the summer?

Do you think you will end up running a larger tire that an 235? I want to see video of this crawling along.

even with the soob in high range, the 4.44 diffs, and the 1.7 high range reduction of the new t-case gear set with only 235's he'll still be turning lots of revs at hiway speed. it's be better gearing that the stock soob in low range....

from the Trail-Gear website for this gear set "

"If you're planning to run with stock axle gears, the high-range gearing of this kit is ideal for street use with 33"-35" tires." but stock sammy axle gears are 3.73 I think....

i will go to some larger shoes when i can.until then i will run these.i will have a bit of clearance with these and am not concerned about it yet.:)cheers, brian

i would think 235's would be fine for now. you'd be reducing another stress multiplier on the axles and driveline components by not going huge with your tires and you'll also have lower gear effectivity. which is why if i hang onto lil' roo for another year I might look into getting smaller tires since she needs some new shoes again.

yeah the 235's will be fine.

and the highway gearing will be fine that way too,if i am doing it right the RPM calc. says i will be around 2100 at 60mph.with 4.44 gears,and the 1.7 of the sammy case.

that does not sound to bad to me.seeing as how i will not be going over 40 anyway:lol:.i do not plan on driving this on the street very much, if at all.short jaunts through town maybe,but it will never see the freeway under it's own power unless the world ends and i have to mad max it:).

got some more reinforcement made today,will weld again this weekend.

taking the kids to MONSTER JAM!!!!!! to get them firede up for a couple of hours and understand (dad(me) and their uncles(me)) addiction to his car(s).

on another note, i pulled an old power steering rack out and started tearing it down,to see what is needed to rebuild it.anyways,nore updates when i get'em from progress.cheers, brian