Ultimate Subaru Message Board

official build thread.........this is monstaru2

monstaru

front or rear?

i will be making axles for the rear,the front is still in the works.have not figured out yet what i want to do for them.

I and several others always had more problems with the differential stubs than the axles themselves.i will cross that bridge when i get to it i guess.

so to answer your question, i don't know yet?:lol:.....

ok, ok, like i said , i am building rear axles and the research shows that i will be able to do it cheaper than i thought.the fronts are not the same configuration as the rears, so there are considerations to be taken, like,can i find bearings for the front that will allow me to utilize the rear stub asssembly for the outers,if not should i cut some axles and use the cv outers and a u joint inner(seeing as how these are usually the problem)or, do i just put a solid axle up there?anyways, cheers, brian

those EA81 Axles are the weak link , is that what your going with or ??

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, actually got some welding done again yesterday.i will be buying more steel monday to finish the front framehorns.then on to mounting suspension up front with a little wider stance.

and then suspension design.i think i am going to use part of the struts i built.....without the strut:grin:.just as springs,but it depends on how quickly i can find some shocks.cheers, brian

if you may go to solid in the front int he future, make sure you can adapt and make the frame rails narrower if needed.

the soob frame rails are just as wide at the firewall, as a Toyota frame, but the soob rails widen as they get closer to the front, which can cause troubles for bigger tires....

also, I finally got to my storage garage, and got my spare soob cluster out.

The sammy speedo cable from the t-case, is a perfect fit for the back of the soob cluster, so you'll be able to calculate your speed, and use the stock speedo...

that is awesome news Mick.thanks,it will make it easier to deal with when i cross that bridge.

have been working on the front of the frame.almost done with the basic layout for the front .then i can start hanging stuff.engine crossmember,suspension etc.

i will post pics this weekend of progress.cheers, brian

ok, so my triangular tubing came in today.i got the inner and the outer tube,with one of the outside flanges.

i have to take some axle cups to a friend of mine to get turned down so that they can be fitted into said flanges and welded.

i realize this is R&D but i thought i would post it.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

i am trying to decide how to finish out the front suspension crossmember.

IMG_2576.jpg

mind you , the frame is upside down right now.you can see how i gusseted the under side of the "z" in the frame here.(pics i owed you from the weekend)........i am thinking about welding the blocks to the frame, then drilling through from the top and tapping what will be the top of that block .....then drilling through the bottom to mount the suspension crossmember.

utilizing these 4 inch blocks like this is reminiscent of our traditional lifts,only these would be welded on the frame side ....whatcha think?cheers, brian

well, i took an axle cup and the u joint yoke i want to use to my buddy at the machine shop today.he will get back to me when he talks to the machinist.

he is also going to do a rockwell test on the cup and yoke to see if they will be weldable when we are done.(meaning that if they are close in rockwell rating they would be more malleable to each other i guess) as to not lose any strength.

do not know when i will hear back from him , as it is a HUGE shop and it will be done on the side.(by huge i mean , they have a lathe that use to turn battleship gun barrels in the 40's that they converted to CNC for there purposes).and that is in the 3rd building that we built for them.

still not entirely sure i will need a slip joint application utilizing the triangle tube i bought.i have to have the outer and inner done before i can put some u-joints together and look at the flex factor.

i drilled the top mounting holes in the frame today for the engine crossmember area,now i am going to have to move my drill press into the middle of the floor and do a balancing act with the frame to get a through hole on the bottom so i can mount the suspension crossmember.

then i am off and running.i sure have learned alot during this process,and cannot wait to do it again,so that i can streamline it.after this i will be able to put a frame together pretty quick.and will probably just do a buggie.it would have been easier:lol:.....

lets see, what else.........i have been thinking of the front suspension quite a bit lately......still do not know what i will do.:confused:we shall see what time allows.anyways,cheers, brian

well,i am thisclose to being able to hang the front suspension......i should be hanging it tomorrow afternoon.of course i do not have my shocks , uhh i mean struts fingered out yet.

next step after that is to mock up the engine ,tranny,and t-case for t-case mounts.i'll post pics tomorrow evening.

cheers, brian

well, i did not get as far as ida thought.....rain,and getting some steel kicked down to me made me step away for a few.

thanks mugs ,that steel is the same as what i have!i will get ahold of you when i am not working this week to come get some more!:)and thanks for the rest of the plastics i needed for the ej!cheers

i got the front stuff tacked together while on the car.i will take the dummy crossmember off of there and mount up the real crossmember then weld it alltogether .

here are a couple of boring pics again,i will add gussets where i see fit when i have it to that point.

actually working this week!!woohoo....money!!!!!

IMG_2579.jpg

more pics here....cheers, brian

i know, i AM slow....but here we go.....

time to mock things up...engine crossmember worked out well......

IMG_2584.jpg

i used the 6" strut extensions to mock it up with and make it rollable.........that will change too

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

gotta look at the stock axle angle in the next couple of days.....take that bracket off,buy a bushing and make a new mount.

i will work on the links in the meantime.should be fun.would like to be able to make it rollable by the end of this weekend.so that i can get the wagon in its spot and switch out trannies.

anyways,theres an update for ya.....cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

on her feet.....

IMG_2596.jpg

got the links to bungs welded today.will be taking apart the front suspension tomorrow to finger those out.also working on the front diff mount still.....comin right a long.......comin right along.cheers, brian

• 2 weeks later...

jeff, i only know where my hankooks are!:grin:

anyways,i recieved some killer news today.i held , in my hands,the "turned down{lathed} splined section from an ea series axle cup.it was the splined section thatr happen to be turned down to the circumference of a certain u-joint yoke that i had purchased.seems that the hardness is not an issue and can be welded to the yoke!!!!!AWESOME news.i had to leave it there,as the machinist has a million things to deal with is not likely to remember the circumference to turn down the other 3 cups i brought my friend today....

so no pics.......but,within a couple of weeks we shall continue the

R&D of the rear axles.i do not know if it will work, but am going to find out soon.

the rest has been to a slow down.weather, work (thank the gods), and extra family visiting has slowed me down.

i currently need to mount the radius rods,and then i am on to the shocks....cheers, brian

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, so been a bit.

i got some struts made today finally.

IMG_2756.jpg

i still have not gotten the rear axle pieces back from the machine shop,but guess i can't *************** because it is free machining....

the radius rods are out for a bending.they should be back this next week......

then she is a roller......i can then weld the brackets for the front diff,and start working on the tunnel.which will ensue mounting the sammi case,and moving on to drivelines.

then things will move alot quicker.cheers, brian

Awesome to see progress again. I need to make a trip over and check it out in person again sometime. :)

Btw, how much space is there between the top of the car and your garage ceiling? :lol:

it won't actually fit in the garage.:grin:and yes, it would be grand to see you again.i have been kinda MIA lately,but thats how my spring/summer goes sometimes.there will be more progress soon.like i said,i am waiting on some folks,when she is a roller it will start goin.

but i have to get the control arms straight....which will happen when i get the radius rods back,so that i can weld up the diff mounts,which need to be done for the mounting of the t-case,,,,etc....etc....so the little things i could be doing are basically getting done.

i do not know if the hatch will make an appearance at the offroad meet, but i will be there,with something.cheers, brian

Slowly but surely man. Glad to see you are still able to get some progress done with your schedual. I can't wait to take our cars out and test at the ORV park........soon I hope.