Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Lake run 1/25/09 With pics here and there.

TeamCF

So I'm thinking...... January 25th.

That work for everyone?

A couple Soobs on the dunes was fun.

Half a dozen would be awesome.

We can roam around like a scene out of Mad Max. (At least I know my Soob looks the part. Hell I can even wear some of my clubbin gear and then I'll look the part. :lol: )

And remember. It's $5 per vehicle on the dunes. (last time Greg forgot to bring cash.... I traded him a pint of brew afterwards for his entry in to the dunes. :) )They never SEEM to check, but if ya don't have the little ticket stub they'll nab ya. And there were half a dozen Forest Service and Sheriff's roaming around last time.

I'd be all for this weekend but that would be short notice and my sweety DJ's this saturday night.

Edited by TeamCF
changed title to reflect date

I have a birthday party in corvalis, I am going to the mud run in st helens on the 31st

I've been meaning to go out to the Mud Run.

At least just to check it out. The pics from the last one on New Years it did not look Soob freindly. It didn't even look 44" boggers with a blown 454 under the hood friendly. :lol:

But I have seen past ones that had some more mild stuff and stocker rigs were playing on it.

Oh yeah we'll have to do some more even as the trails melt off. :)

Sand Lake is always fun. What seems to be nice about winter is the number of quads and bikes buzzing around out there is way less.

Middle of the day sunday and the one lot was empty, the other was proly less than half full. :)

When I went for WCSS10, even during a weekday both lots were full. And you had to watch you didn't get hit or hit a bike or quad buzzing by.

I'm in ...:banana: maybe I'll fab up an offroad bumper for the occassion...

Perhaps some biker goggles and skull face bandana....:eek:

Everyone needs a pirate x-bones flag on their soob...:grin:

We need Cmiller to video the Xing of the dunes...en mass...with some mad max music..edited in...lol

Yes. :grin:

Is the sand like in Florence or is it more solid at Sand lake?

Jeff

It's dry and soft in the summer. Has some bigger dunes but I don't think anything like the ones in Florence. (I've not been down there on them but remember driving by years ago)

This time of year if it's been raining out there it's a little more firm.

Or like the area near the staging lot. It's kind of a pond and it's quicksand on the bottom.

But same type of sand as down on the Oregon Dunes.

They just call it Sand Lake as there is a lake across the road on the way in that is called Sand Lake (It's a somewhat dry lake in summer, but you can't drive in it). So the sand dune play area there has the same name. :)

So it's supposed to snow in Portland.

But I'm still in for Sand Lake this sunday as long as the pass on the way is open. :)

Scoobyclimbs just called and is in too.

Thinking......

9:00 ish at the Shell station on HWY 6 before Browns camp.

Good place to top up, pick up an OHV permit if ya dont' got one, ect.

Depending on conditions this time may be moved to accomodate bad roads/time needed.

If the weather is bad enough but not too bad.

We may even have the dunes all to ourselves. :grin:

Forcast as of now for Pacific City (Sand Lake) on Tripcheck:

Saturday Night

Saturday night, a chance of rain in the evening, then rain and snow likely overnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows around 35. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday

Sunday, mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and snow. Highs 35 to 40. Northeast wind 5 to 20 mph.

Sunday Night

Sunday night, partly cloudy. A slight chance of snow in the evening. Colder. Lows 25 to 30. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts to 30 mph overnight.

And for the coast range on the way there:

Saturday Night

Saturday night, mostly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening. Rain and snow likely after midnight. Snow level 2000 feet lowering to 1500 feet after midnight. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Lows 30 to 35. North wind 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday

Sunday, rain and snow likely. Snow level 1500 feet. Highs 30 to 35. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph.

Sunday Night

Sunday night, partly cloudy. A slight chance of snow in the evening. Lows around 25. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.

Edited by TeamCF
forcast

Latest forcast.

I'm still in. Gonna be at the Shell station on HWY 6 about 9 ish.

:grin:

Coast range/hwy 6 passes:

Tonight

Tonight, showers likely in the evening, increasing after midnight. Snow level lowering to around 800 feet north and 2000 feet south after midnight. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches, greatest above pass elevations. Lows 30 to 35. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday

Sunday, mostly cloudy. Showers in the morning, then decreasing from the north in the afternoon. Snow level around 600 feet north and 1200 feet south. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Highs 35 to 40. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph.

Sunday Night

Sunday night, partly cloudy. A slight chance of snow showers in the evening. Colder. Snow level 500 feet in the evening. Lows 20 to 25. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts to 25 mph.

Dunes:

Tonight

Tonight, showers likely in the evening, then showers after midnight, possibly mixed with a little snow late. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows 30 to 35. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast late.

Sunday

Sunday, mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning, then a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. Precipitation possibly mixed with a little snow but little if any accumulation. Highs around 40. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph.

Sunday Night

Sunday night, partly cloudy. Lows around 25. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.

Talked to Chaz and he can't make it.

Scoobyclimbs will be there.

Cmiller, Thermalsurfing1.

You guys still interested? :)

Just want to know if any waiting needs to be done at the shell. Or if once Greg and I get there we can take off.

Another trip will be in a couple weeks. Chaz can make it then. :burnout:

I'm going to have to pass. I have to fix my power steering before I can take it out wheeling. Keep me posted on future Sand Lake runs because I really want to get out there with you guys. Have fun!:banana:

No problem. :)

We'll be posting it up when the next one gets figured out.

Team Cf and I headed up hwy 6..to Sand lake...we took the less travelled route ..a snow excursion..at TSF.. a few inches of fresh snow..I had just put on new larger snow tires(upgraded from 185/70R14 to 205/75R14).

We just couldn't resist the temptation.:banana: We managed to make it up to Hogsback and I promptly stuck myself in some deep chewd' up soft stuff..

I had packed some plywood boards for sand...it worked great for getting out of the rut...+ a quick pull...from Team CF..

We saw a huge (15+)group of Range rovers up there..

Once we headed down hwy 6 again and followed this minivan doin 40mph in a 55 zone..doh...we decided to pass the guy and he got on it when we were tryin to pass...I had plenty of time..to get by doin 70...Team Cf was abit behind and just made it by at 73.. a couple miles down the road a sherrif comes up behind us both..:eek:

I thought we'd never get pulled over in our underpowerd subes...

We got off with a warning...whew:banana:

We arrived for a perfect day at sand lake.. we did some fun exporlation on the North end...and some fun in this huge bowl..wahoo!

I did get stuck in some soft stuff..so we broke out my plywood and Team cf gave me a nudge with a strap...

I didn't break a rear cv...:banana:

We had a blast! Ya really missed out on a full day of fun :grin:

IMG_0097.jpg

tightsand.jpg

quadsand.jpg

tsf1.jpg

cplookout.jpg

tsfsnow.jpg

Edited by scoobyclimbs

It was good times.

Lots of blow down out at TSF but not too bad. Though we didn't get to see but a couple trails. Looked like some trails were plowed in too.

hehe. Haven't been pulled over in almost 10 years. And what do I get pulled in? The GL. :lol:

He took a good look at my bumper and lame front turn signals and it seemed to pass for legal in his book. :banana:

Best comment. "You have this thing insured?" :lol:

I thnk I got a few pics. I'll have to go through and see what turned out. My camera seems to be getting worse. :-\

It was good times.

Lots of blow down out at TSF but not too bad. Though we didn't get to see but a couple trails. Looked like some trails were plowed in too.

hehe. Haven't been pulled over in almost 10 years. And what do I get pulled in? The GL. :lol:

He took a good look at my bumper and lame front turn signals and it seemed to pass for legal in his book. :banana:

Best comment. "You have this thing insured?" :lol:

I thnk I got a few pics. I'll have to go through and see what turned out. My camera seems to be getting worse. :-\

I got this one to pass, so yours should be fine too. :-p

Last%20Import%20-%2065.jpg

Looks like a blast, I wish there were more Subie fanatics around here!

-Kevin

Yeah I had heard that you have to have 4" of flat area (either one piece or two tubes ids fine as long as it covers 4") going across to be legal.

Mine is 3 3/4" between the mounting points, and 3" under the headlights.

I could not find the law in print though so screw it. :lol:

all I could find is this off of the NHTSA website:

"49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2 mph across the full width and 1 mph on the corners.

This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface, and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards."

I do know however that my turn signals are not legal at all.

Oregon law regarding signals:

816.120 Turn signals. Each of the following

is a requirement for turn signals as

described:

(1) Turn signals shall be so constructed

and located on a vehicle as to give a signal

of intention to turn right or left.

(2) The following types of turn signals

shall show light in the direction indicated:

(a) Front turn signal lights shall show

light to the front of the vehicle.

(B) Rear turn signal lights shall show

light to the rear of the vehicle.

(3) The following types of turn signals

shall have the color of light indicated:

(a) Front turn signal lights may be white

or amber.

(B) Rear turn signal lights may be red,

amber or yellow. If the rear turn signal is

red, the motor vehicle was manufactured before

1959 and the turn signal is combined

with the taillight in a taillight assembly, the

assembly may contain an insert as described

under ORS 816.080.

(4) Turn signals shall be understandable

in normal sunlight and at a distance of 500

feet at night.

(5) Turn signals that are required under

ORS 816.320 and 816.330 must be mounted,

adjusted and aimed in accordance with the

standards adopted by the Department of

Transportation.

(6) Turn signals that are required under

ORS 816.320 and 816.330 and any part for

such turn signals that tends to change the

original design or performance must be of a

type that complies with standards adopted by

the department under ORS 816.010. [1983 c.338

§458 (9); 1985 c.16 §240 (9); 1985 c.69 §1 (9); 1985 c.71 §4

(9); 1985 c.393 §13 (9); 1985 c.420 §6 (9); 1997 c.492 §3; 2003

c.158 §25]

Right here.

"(4) Turn signals shall be understandable

in normal sunlight and at a distance of 500

feet at night."

If my headlights are on day or night, they drown out the signals even if you are right in front of the car. 500 feet?! No chance you'd see mine. And during the day they disappear with the headlights off after only about 50 feet. Just little 194 bulb marker lights. They were the right size. Currently looking for different lights that'll do the trick. Thinking LED. The truck stop near me has a ginormus selection and you can see all of them on. Just have to get down there and grab a set.

Edited by TeamCF

A few pics I got.

We need more peeps to go so the chance of action shots will go up.

I tend to just go go go and not stop for pics.

But Greg likes to grab some pics so at least we got a few. :)

TSFsnow1.jpg

SCSL1.jpg

TCFSL1.jpg

Hey Greg.

Burn me the vids you got from both outings.

I can always put them up if needed. :)

man that looks fun! Did you guys have the place to yourselves?

There were some quads. A couple buggies.

And we saw a Jeep bristling with lights whle we were airing back up.

But it was not crowded at all.

You could hit up an area of the dunes and not see another sand toy at all for 15 min to half hour at some points.