Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trip to Canada in 2002 OBW

Guest rtp373

Just wanted to let all the users know that my family and I completed a near 1000-mile trip from Maine to Prince Edward Island, CA in my 5-spd 2002 OBW and fell in love with the car all over again.

Typically made it up over pretty steep hills in 5th gear, not needing to downshift exept maybe a couple of times. Cruised at about 75mph on the open road w/o hardly feeling it. It was fully loaded with cargo, 2 kids, my wife, and I.

Coming home I averaged approx 25mpg, even with all of those large rolling hills thru New Brunswick and the A/C running full blast!

It has a nice commanding view, but not too high. Most comfortable ride of any of the 3 past trips.

We probably could have used a roof cargo carrier, but made out ok with the space in the back.

Now that we're home, anticipating that new clutch...dealer is ready whenever.

RTP373

Guest Chip Hedrick

Where do you hail from in Maine? My wife and I live in New Gloucester and have two Subarus: '98 OBW 5MT (mine) and '03 H6 sedan (wife's).

My OBW has over 93k mi (I'm the original owner), and I still love it. In fact, I am planning on keeping it for another 5-plus years and am debating whether to sink some money into upgrades: new stereo, full aftermarket exhaust, new or refinished wheels, Cobb cams (if I really feel adventuresome).

Guest rtp373

I'm in the next town over that shares the school district - give you another hint, starts with the same consonant as New Gloucester.

Small world.

Guest Chip Hedrick

Good to meet you neighbor! This is a commentary on the 21st Century--meeting someone one town over via the internet. Amazing.

Do you know of any other Mainers on this message board?

By the way, from which dealership did you purchase your OBW? Both of our Subarus came from Charlie's Motor Mall in Augusta. The place in South Portland didn't seem to want to deal when we were in the market for my wife's car earlier this year.

Guest rtp373

Yes, it was Charlie's. Got 4.25%, $2000 rebate from Subaru and talked down from there. They've been terrific so far regarding service - even getting a new clutch as the 2003 model year has the silent "fix" parts. We have the cold clutch "shudder" problem where the car will shake as you let the clutch out.

Maine Mall Motors sux. The sales guys were fine but when they brought out the sales manager (since we were talking them down even more), he pulled all of the slimy transparent negotiation tactics and we walked. Although Charlie's was just slightly less per month, we felt more comfortable with them, although our sales guy wasn't a saint, either. The sales manager from Maine Mall Motors called my wife the next day and gave her a lot of crap for going to Charlie's - I almost called Subaru on him, but we notified Charlie's staff and they said all of the customers they "steal" from Maine Mall Motors get the same crap.