Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a rather noobish question

orrocsam1

hello everyone!

so, bought a 1991 1.8 non blown fwd loyale and the motor is all jacked up. asked my father in law to take a look at it and we both came to the conclusion that without doing an overhaul and spending alot of wasted time why not just swap the motor. my question(obviously) is what are some of the plethera of soob motors that can replace this. ive looked around a bit and decided that 1500 was infinitely too much money to spend on a replacement 1991 motor with xx0,000 miles or whatever on it.

any help much appreciated!:-\

yeah i figured just a replacement wouldnt cost that much but mostly what ive found is being parted out or wayy far away. besides i figure i may as well upgrade the engine while im at it so i guess really what im wondering is what fits and what doesnt as far as other fwd engines that are made

Well you could put a legacy motor in it with some work. search for EJ swap in the search area. But that's about it. That would give you a lot more power! But it takes a fair amount of work to do. By far the easiest would be to replace it with another motor out of the same style car. Are you doing the work yourself?

ehhh, its not really an issue of will i do it myself but do i want to. i mean i love working on my cars but im on a night sched til april or may so the number of hours spent working on it/being at work would be wack.

who knows, the most important thing is that it gets running and isnt just sitting. lord knows its been too cold to ride a bike home at 10pm:rolleyes:

ehhh, its not really an issue of will i do it myself but do i want to. i mean i love working on my cars but im on a night sched til april or may so the number of hours spent working on it/being at work would be wack.

who knows, the most important thing is that it gets running and isnt just sitting. lord knows its been too cold to ride a bike home at 10pm:rolleyes:

Yeah well really the only option then is to have another motor from the same kind of motor put into it. But of course a shop is gonna charge a lot more to put another motor in. You could really do it yourself in a few hours, if you had all the parts and tools. Yeah I bet I can beat you on cold temp. It's currently 5* out right now! brrrrrrrr

Yeah well really the only option then is to have another motor from the same kind of motor put into it. But of course a shop is gonna charge a lot more to put another motor in. You could really do it yourself in a few hours, if you had all the parts and tools. Yeah I bet I can beat you on cold temp. It's currently 5* out right now! brrrrrrrr

thats the truth though, somebody has to make money lol. i found one or two that may work the only thing is finding one within a decent radius. lord knows i dont want to pay the cost of the motor plus doubel for shipping

thats the truth though, somebody has to make money lol. i found one or two that may work the only thing is finding one within a decent radius. lord knows i dont want to pay the cost of the motor plus doubel for shipping

Yup! I know what you mean. Check any junk yard that are near you.

I see you're in North Carolina. I believe there are a few members out your way.

dropping another stock motor in there would probably be a pretty quick job. having worked on them for years, I could probably have it running in a couple hours. somebody without EA82-specific experience but decent mechanical ability could do it in a day pretty easily.

and getting hold of a running used one (don't be too afraid of the mileage, they're fairly tough. 200k+ isn't too hard. also, if you do the swap and it sounds like hell when you first start it up. don't fret, the hydraulic lash adjuster take some time to work fully, so you'll get some crazy valvetrain noise until it's been running for awhile) for a few hundred bucks wouldn't be that hard.

if you're looking for a fun, reliable car that's going to get great mileage. an EJ22 swap is an awesome option. I did a swap into an '86 wagon last summer, part-time 4WD, and it's trip back to Michigan, it got 32mpg. 135 hp, and worlds more reliable than the stock EA82. it's not a terribly hard or expensive swap, in the grand scheme of things. but it will take up some time and some spare income. so if you're looking for a quick, cheap turnaround, it's not a great option.