Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Gen 1 Winch - Best Replacement for Original

Hey All,

I've been absent from the board for a while. Hope everyone is doing well. Had a really turbulent holiday season. Was laid off, then had another baby, then found work. Not much time for subaru stuff. But now that I am working again, I bought myself a present. I'm getting a high roll bar for my '79 brat. I already have the winch bumper, so all I need to complete the winch accessory package is the winch itself.

Now I know that I'll probably never find an original winch, though I am trying to keep my brat as orignal as possible. I have been told that 'Superwinch' still makes the same winch that was used on the brats, its their '2000 lb ATV' winch. Can anyone confirm that this is correct??

Not only do I want it to look original, but I'd love it to be useful too. The Superwinch website says that your winch should be able to pull 1.5 times the weight of your car, so what would that be, 3750 lbs or something?

Well if anyone has any info out there, like specs on the original winch, nice pictures of the original winch, actually has an original winch on their gen 1, or just any general advice and recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Nice to be back,

Crabman

The 2000 lb one would look the closest to the original but it wouldn't have much pulling power for the Brat. But then the problem you run into is that if you want a bigger one, it is just that, Bigger! So it wouldn't look like the original. But you would probably get more usefulness out of it.

Yeah, as expected the superwinch "LT2000" is not a perfect match in terms of looks. Although, I suppose if you painted it yellow, it would be close enough. Thanks for the pic McBrat.

I know i wouldn't have a gen 1 brat in any position

where i'd have to winch out anyway.

LOL! Famous last words. I hope I'm never in that position either but you never know. I definitely want to do a little off-roading. But really I need the winch because whenever I go camping with S'ko, I always have to pull him out and sometimes tow him back to the highway :lol:

Anyone know what kind of rating the original winch had, was it 2000lb?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yeah, as expected the superwinch "LT2000" is not a perfect match in terms of looks. Although, I suppose if you painted it yellow, it would be close enough. Thanks for the pic McBrat.

LOL! Famous last words. I hope I'm never in that position either but you never know. I definitely want to do a little off-roading. But really I need the winch because whenever I go camping with S'ko, I always have to pull him out and sometimes tow him back to the highway :lol:

Anyone know what kind of rating the original winch had, was it 2000lb?

Thanks for the help everyone.

hey... that happened once... Now that I got the front axles in a shallowe angle and the stretchy rear axles, I am all set. No axles pulling me out or exploding and leaving me dead in the water.

Besides, I wouldn't want to go camping with you in the future b/c now you have two little girls who will HOWL like coyotes in the middle of the night. :grin:

BW

I actually have an original accessory winch on my '79. Somebody painted it silver at some point, but it is still yellow underneath. What I've been trying to figure out was how it was supposed to be wired. Seeing the picture in this thread leads me to believe that there was a remote control that was part of the kit.

My BRAT has power cables running into the interior with a rotating switch mounted under the radio consol. I don't believe this is the correct configuration. PM me your email, and I can send you some pix if you like.

I actually have an original accessory winch on my '79. Somebody painted it silver at some point, but it is still yellow underneath. What I've been trying to figure out was how it was supposed to be wired. Seeing the picture in this thread leads me to believe that there was a remote control that was part of the kit.

My BRAT has power cables running into the interior with a rotating switch mounted under the radio consol. I don't believe this is the correct configuration. PM me your email, and I can send you some pix if you like.

If you can, post some pics on here so we can all see the "rare" factory suby winch, Right on the vehicle