Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The carnage.

in the last picture there is obviously a valve missing, if that was the first part to break, that would explain the carnage (even though I would expect less with just 1 broken valve)

this also doesn't explain the carnage in the other cilinder, mmm. I wonder.

look at what I circled, it may be the "key" to solving the puzzle

theory: whatever it was, part of it was stuck at the valve seat, when the valve tried to close, it lost it's head, and upon piston down stroke the head got lodged between the piston crown and cylinder head in the up stroke, since the piston rod must move, the piston corwn curmbled adding more debris and finally stopping the crank

and perhaps part of whatever it was, is circled in orange, also went for a ride on the other cylinder

perhaps it came from the carb, definately looks like it went through the intake system

post-1818-136027630827_thumb.jpg

Edited by subiemech85
added attachment

theory: whatever it was, part of it was stuck at the valve seat, when the valve tried to close, it lost it's head, and upon piston down stroke the head got lodged between the piston crown and cylinder head in the up stroke, since the piston rod must move, the piston corwn curmbled adding more debris and finally stopping the crank

and perhaps part of whatever it was, is circled in orange, also went for a ride on the other cylinder

perhaps it came from the carb, definately looks like it went through the intake system

All I can see is the thumbnail. It just spins when I click it. What is circled?

If it's the thing lodged in the #3 piston, I think thats a chunk of the #1 piston. Can you post your pic some other way?

I saw that squarish piece too before you posted and thought the same. It looks as if it could be the end of a punch, or end of a tool, squarish and twisted/smashed.

Agreed....

FOD looks nothing like one would expect to find in an engine, not sure what it was originally.

FOD wound up in nieghboring cylinder do to the broken valve being the "intake". FOD got tossed back into intake "after" the valve head broke off, then found it's way into the adjoining cylinder on "it's" next intake stroke.

Piece of FOD is seemingly straight piece of metal, maybe squarish of cross-section. Not real sure of origin..... Definetly didn't need to be there...

For those who don't know; FOD is Foriegn Object Debris.

Leads to Foriegn Object Damage = catastrophic engine failure. As evident by pics...

Think of that plane that recently "landed" in the Hudson. Birds are definetly FOD. They do not belong in an engine, there for,,, they are FOD.

If it ain't fuel or air,,,, it don't belong in an engines combustion cylinder/chamber.

it is Hard to Believe that a Piece of Metal like That could find its Way Down a Carb`s Throat, Thru the intake to fall across one Valve`s Way to the Cylinder... But it is Strange World after All...

The Cause Could be a Broken Valve, but if that Part Doesn`t Belong to the Engine, I believe that could be part of some tool Left -dropped- inside the intake Manyfold when someone took the Carb appart, maybe for service, before you obtained that Engine.

Back in 1986, one Uncle had a VW Mini Bus with a Nice Smooth Workin` Boxer engine, untill his Mechanic Dropped the Unscrewed Top of a Spark Plug, inside the Cyl Thru the Spark plug`s Hole on the Head... Same Disaster like your Subie`s engine! ... :-\ ...

it is So Sad, but I Believe that Now you can Think on Swappin` an Upgraded -Bigger- Engine there, like an EA81...

Good Luck!

When I killed the 390 in my F100 (same thing, dropped valve), there was crap EVERYWHERE.

I thought "key stock" when I saw that #3 piston as well, I do have to wonder if that played a part. The thing I'm having a bit of a time with is that you dropped an intake valve- I have never seen an intake drop, it's always the exhaust. I can see it getting wedged open and hitting the piston though, and the stem is obviously bent. That guide looks gone, as well as maybe a crack in the head too?

what ive the valve failed,smashed the piston,the remains of the piston smashed into the head, which lifted the head ever so slightly and allowed FOD into #3?At that point the engine was slowed down enough that the piece in #3 stopped the motor?We are talking about a 1000th of second from valve failed to siezed engine...

Uberoo's suggestion is not too likely. If the head bolts stretched enough to allow that big chunk to slide from one cylinder to the other, the head would have been found lying on the road.

It most likely came in through the intake port.