Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Man...for some reason my link to USMB was bad and I thought this message board was gonzo! I'm stoked I found my way back!:banana:

Anyhow, I'm trying to replace an EJ25 in a '98 GT that has a bad head gasket ( go figure) with an EJ22 that was in a '95 LSi, though I believe this engine came from a '96 of some sort. One of my problems is that the EJ25 car has a 4sp automatic tranny (4AT). The donor EJ22 engine came from a car with a 5sp Manual tranny (5MT).

I've been told I need to replace the intake I have with an EJ22 intake that came from a 4AT car. What I'm wondering is if I can just pull the wiring off the EJ25 intake and put it on the EJ22 intake that I have and plug 'er in? Anybody have experience with this?

Thx!

LOTS of information on here about this.

the automatic/manual thing itself does not matter. and the recommendation to swap manifolds isn't right either. the EJ22 will plug right in no matter what.

what matters is the EGR. your EJ25 has EGR. a manual trans 95 does not have EGR. but a 96 manual trans EJ22 probably does have EGR. so you'll need to check that.

either way - both will plug in and work just fine without doing a thing to the intake manifold.

if you plug in a non-EGR engine into an originally equipped EGR vehicle it doesn't matter at all, it just gives you a check engine light. my EJ22 swapped legacy has that and i just ignore it.

i'd much rather have the light than extra maintenance and relaibility woes that come with EGR.

you can wire in a resistor to get rid of the light i have heard, i just don't care.

also the exhaust ports matter. 1995 engine will bolt right in. a 1996 will have a single port exhaust, so you'll need to swap the exhaust manifold too. which is really easy, the manifolds are entirely interchangeable - it's only 2 extra bolt - big freaking deal in an engine swap!??!?!

Sweet! Thanks for the advice/info.

The plot thickens in that the '95 LSi used to be an automatic and was converted (before we bought it) to 5MT. The '95 engine that was in it, (it lost a ring/ burned oil), did have the EGR. The engine that's in it now does not have EGR, so it could be out of a '95 5MT I guess.

If I can really just plug it in then I'm good to go! (Makes me wonder why I was told the intakes/wiring had to be switched....:-\)

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaw! I'm friggin' jazzed on this! :clap: I been screwin' around lookin' for intakes off 4EAT....

And, I checked my exhausts....2 ports!

It should be back on the road by the end of the weekend!

Thanks a ton!

Thanks esp to Grossgary! Worked like a charm....after we actually got the temp sensor wire plugged in that is!

Only other thing we had to do was pull a canister and bracket off the '95 by the right headlight. The threaded holes for it were on the '98 so no problem. BUT, we're lucky we had the donor car sitting there. If we'd just had the engine we would have been off searching, so plan ahead if you're doing it.

Anybody in the market for a slightly cooked 2.5? Shhhh...not all at once!

Thx again!