Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best ej for 2nd gen brat swap?

grocerygetter

Hi just looking for opinions from those who have done ej swaps. I would like to know opinions on things like witch ej's fit engine bay best with say 4 in. lift. Witch ej's have less drivetrain work involved in swap.Any year's or models that have ej & drivetrain that are a some what close fit to 2nd gen brat. Thanks for any input i am mechanically stupid but with u guys input and a good local 4x4 fabricator I can hopefully build a nice trail brat!

Hi just looking for opinions from those who have done ej swaps. I would like to know opinions on things like witch ej's fit engine bay best with say 4 in. lift. Witch ej's have less drivetrain work involved in swap.Any year's or models that have ej & drivetrain that are a some what close fit to 2nd gen brat. Thanks for any input i am mechanically stupid but with u guys input and a good local 4x4 fabricator I can hopefully build a nice trail brat!

As far as fitting in the engine bay and hooking up to the stock tranny, they all are the same size and they all need an adapter to hook the motor to the stock tranny. Yup sorry! Except for the 2.5's, the DOHC 2.5's are too big. But I would recommend a 2.2 anyway, they as a rule are much more reliable

Edited by bratman18

You can only fit the SOHC EJ's in the Brat. Unless you like cutting important stuff.

You can get most EJ's in SOHC. The biggest being the EJ25. But the SOHC model of this apparently sometimes (more often then others) has bad headgasket problems. The best one is the EJ22, most reliable and good low end torque. If you want to keep low range and 4WD you don't want or need a EJ gearbox. Just use an adapter to bolt the EJ to your EA gearbox. Also because the 4sp has worst gearing, is weaker and more often then not reverse is blown or will blow with the EJ engine you'll problably want to find yourself a 5 sp D/R EA82 gearbox. And you might need a new rear diff which matches the new gearboxes ratio.

There is many many write ups on the gearbox swap around here and Numbchux has a very good write up on the EJ swap and what is involved. Go have a look.

yep, searchie searchie......cheers, rbain

• 5 years later...

Anyone know about an eg 33 swap?

It will fit, but the radiator becomes an issue.For your first EJ swap use the 90-94 EJ18/22 because they have the simplest wiring.A stock EJ22 makes roughly twice the horsepower and torque of the stock engine at any point in the rev band.It makes FWD almost useless due to massive wheelspin when heavy on the throttle until about 45+ MPH.

He's doing a gen 2 brat, but anyways, rguyver use to have some pictures of his 83 wrx brat. I might have them saved on my old desktop since his hosting site appears to be gone. Best of my memory you take about and inch and a half out of each side at the rear of the heads and plate it back up.

• Like 1

Thats what i thought, i knew the rails needed trimming, but i was fairly sure it was only a little bit in the back.

id appreciate it if you could find the pics, i had a bunch of them saved on my old computer and i doubt ill be ablet find them again....

If you have no lift it's easier.

With a lift, I think the whole rail would need removed becasue the engine sits lower between them.

So it will depend on the exact setup you run.

my brat is going to be built for the street and track, so no lift involved. it will be stock or lower. my next trick is going to be figuring out how to get a wrx engine x-member to fit properly so that i can run newer suspension and such.  i have the front x-member and control arms from an 02 wrx and the rear sub-frame and suspension components from a 2008-2012 wrx. once i get everything fit, i should be able to fun coilovers from any 08+ wrx. the engine and drive train is from a 2002 wrx, granted, ill be trying to use the LSD unit from my 86 rx, i am pretty sure the center chunk is interchangeable. i have finally got most of the parts together, now i just need to make room in the garage and start putting it together, lol.

• 1 month later...

btw, a guy i know has a shell from an 04 sti that he will sell me for cheap. he buys and parts cars, so i have the feeling that he was just going to scrap the shell anyway. i figure ill go at it with some drills and saws and get the parts i need. going to try to get some of the sheet metal as well, might not be the exact fit for fixing some of the rust issues, but it will get me closer than i am now.  i just need to figure out how i am going to get the parts home now, lol .