Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Eric's trail wagon build, 56K b/w!

SoobieDoo

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that thing looks pretty sweet... nice and clean...

Still nice and clean!?! Here's the shots of the trimming. I think it's still pretty unnoticeable, unless you're staring it down. The rear front is still pretty close, but doesn't rub and I don't want to go into the door, unless necessary.

Jeff...what brand of black you use? :lol:

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

:banana::headbang::drunk::brow: :cool: :eek:

that should be plenty of clearance in the back, since the suspension will swing towards the back as it compresses.

Yeah, I still had some minor rubbing there before rolling it over more, but actually had some rubbing on the mud flaps too from that swing comp. It still rubs there sometimes, but there's no metal behind to back it up. I just need to fab the right shim to fully move the mudflaps back. :grin:

• 1 month later...

Well, I've taken some time off modding the soob, but am ready to do a bit more. :banana:

I'm ditching the 1/2 rack, until I get another made up, in favor of some lights. I can't mount the spotlights with it on, since I'll be using the yak crossbar. There are some Hella Optilux 100W spots, already tested and dang bright...even with the engine off! Not a bad deal, either. $30 from an ebayer, including shipping, harness, switch, and relay. :grin:

DSC00022.jpg

I'm not going to spend much of anything on mounts, or a light bar. Just too simple to warrant it. The idea I had is to use two "U" bolts, a few inches away from each other on the crossbar, and a "L" bracket bolted underneath. This should be really solid, and I may not even have to drill out the corner, because of the nice clamps on the lights! Will post more pics of the install, hopefully on Sunday. Think I'll be needing a maxima alt soon too. :eek:

BTW, that nickel plating isn't going to be around long. :Flame:

Edited by SoobieDoo
photo delete

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, that last post was worthless...better to just show them installed. Wiring is all done, and cable-tied up in wiring loom.

DSC00026.jpg

U-bolts will be trimmed shorter, then all coated with black tool dip.

DSC00024.jpg

Stainless screw and neoprene washer for good grounds. I Still need to solder the connectors, don't like those bright, yellow connectors.

DSC00025.jpg

Here's how they look compared to the high beams! :banana:

DSC00031.jpg

Still needs a little adjusting:

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

I also started on my "rat-rod" paint job. The awful clear coat has already done most of the work for me, so I'll just be spot priming any bare metal with rust primer.

DSC00023.jpg

I think my trail wagon is nearing completion now! I decided to put off the EJ swap, until this is a dedicated wheeler. I drive it as is everyday to work, 50 or so miles, and it goes just fine. Maxima alt and welded diff are it for the "bigger" things, then just minor stuff like more lights, bumpers, winch, seats, etc. It's been a blast to build, and I'll keep annoying you all with the minor stuff! :lol:

nice job thus far, but honestly putting off the EJ swap. . . im very glad the EA82 i had tanked and made me do it sooner. i will never own another subaru with the EA82 in it. that will be the first thing to get chucked.

with the 50lbs each 27X9.50 SSR's i have i can do 80+mph without any problems and still get 24-26 MPG

nice job thus far, but honestly putting off the EJ swap. . . im very glad the EA82 i had tanked and made me do it sooner. i will never own another subaru with the EA82 in it. that will be the first thing to get chucked.

with the 50lbs each 27X9.50 SSR's i have i can do 80+mph without any problems and still get 24-26 MPG

Just for the time being. I'm sure the power gain would greatly help off road, but it commutes fine for now.

see i never wheeled mine with the EA82, only pulling people out of the snow banks/ditches last winter.

but between driving it with a EA82 that was carbed and going to the EJ22, needless to say its worlds apart. the car is so much easier to drive, freeway onramps you don't need a running start at to get to 60. passing is effortless. even in the city its just so much easier to drive.

my dad and i both agree that a more powerful car is a safer car. thats why i drive my 280hp WRX swapped 99 impreza almost every day. but i wouldn't be timid at all about jumping into my lifted wagon and going to portland for the day.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to ditch the stock bumper, being the sad, flimsy POS it was. Here is a later model loyale with the cover and foam off, hammerite black to match the wheels, and some 5/8" eye bolts. I did the corner marker to turn signal mod also, so some foglights can be put in there. The "end supports" don't offer much protection, but I left 'em on anyway. Prob add on some tubing at some point, as well. Any guesses about the other use I have planned for the eye bolts!?!

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

• 2 months later...
Got the 4X linkage hooked back up today.

Now it shifts smoother, and goes into 4 low, high, and FWD. That much closer to wheelin!!! :headbang:

Your Tcase is 4 low, 4 high and front wheel drive? I don't think I knew of that combo. I'm going to have to get me one of those for my super slow build! Do you know if these just bolt up to a 5spd trans?

Your Tcase is 4 low, 4 high and front wheel drive? I don't think I knew of that combo. I'm going to have to get me one of those for my super slow build! Do you know if these just bolt up to a 5spd trans?

What is it you have? 93 Loyal? if so it will bolt up, if you have a legacy, thats a different story...................

Jeff