Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's see everyones OFF ROAD light set-up

Pooparu

Dude - I love the WCSS 7,8,9,10 on the back! You get those at the show each year or somethin?

nope, it's just something I made. I was going to make a new one for every show I went to, but then I missed 12 and bagged the idea.

nope, it's just something I made. I was going to make a new one for every show I went to, but then I missed 12 and bagged the idea.

Missed 12? I thought you were camped right next to me and Gemini? (Clifford, the big red Legacy)

Did you mean missed 11?

• 4 months later...
Mine are pretty simple.

Cheap 55watt Blazer tech driving lamps set low.

I thought about getting a nice set of Hellas or similar, but being down low I just know Ill break them often. :eek:

RUski.jpg

I guess I should update this....

Here, is this better?? :)

RUclean03.jpg

Forget if I had posted in this before. But if I did it's all different now anyway.

TheSoob1.jpg

KC knockoffs on the roof. Some driving lights on the roof rack pointed at about 45* for some side light. Hella 500 fogs on the bumper. Projectors in the old high beam location (I found the stock high beams to be redundant once I did the Hella H4 conversion)

What can't be seen is a set of small fogs up under the front fenders behind the bumper to provide light right in front of the tires. And a set of extra backup lights that fit perfect under the handle of the hatch on either side of the plate.

I find it all to be plenty of light for midnight dune runs, or tight trails at night. (Though you can always have more! :grin: )

A GM 100 amp alt powers it all.

Are those just drilled into the bumper beam?

Drilled right down through the bumper! The PO had three hella 500's. And since the 750 (or whatever that is...) is too wide I had to space it up... I have a better idea though. This is just proof of how awesome it'll be.

The lights are very stable being mounted like that. And it's just a few holes. Haha, rust has made enough, why not drill some more :D

b1681886.jpg

8x 55watt walmart fog lights

I need to take the 4 rectangle ones off and add some 100 or 130w lights. These don't shine very far.

100w bulbs aren't worth it. They don't actually draw 100w, and they don't put out nearly double what a 55w put out. Like you'd expect. (at least, the $10 ones don't...) Stay with 55/85w is probably fine.

What more important than the bulb output is the reflector and lens. That's why cheap lights with the exact same bulb don't put out half as much as expensive lights.

(And, as I've learned it seems bulbs follow this same rule)

The hella 500 is a great light to price ratio, in my opinion. Even with the stock 55w bulbs in them, they're amazing difference as compared to the terrible horrible stock 2nd gen lights.

Your other option is JDM headlights :D:D:D

IMG_3775.jpg

They have about the same output as a hella 500 with the 55w high beams. Pretty amazing difference from the stock lights.

Edited by 987687

TeamCF - are those Daylighters mounted to the roof, or your racks? They look like they're on the sheet metal. and you should take some pictures of the nighttime performance of those projectors... ;)

They are mounted through the roof. I have no headliner and the sheetmetal is all braced up/added extra layers around the holes. Ended up working out pretty good. Did that long before I ever thought I'd afford a roof rack (then I was given a brand new Yakima for free).

The wiring for the projectors is currently hooked to the Hella 500's. One projector burned out, the other had the lens crack. They cost like $15 back in the 90's (and always have out of the box, even now.... smell like a squished skunk). Just had them laying around. I plan on replacing them at some point though. They did work pretty good though before they went belly up. :) (for cheapo lights)

• 2 months later...