Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need cheap ideas before towing to the shop

While taking my exit from the highway the car quickly developed some crackling/rattling/marbly sound coming from the engine. Related to rmps (or possibly to turbo rmps) and most pronounced while giving it gas. Was able to make it to the second traffic light and died there. With some effort and lots of gas pedal application I was able to start it (was probably a very stupid thing to do) and make it two more blocks (where it died at the stop light again) so that I can park it and walk home. While making these two blocks sounds were very loud, car was very sluggish. Before going home quickly checked oil level (fine, and does not leak in general), transmission oil level (fine) and coolant (fine). No CEL's before today, did not check if there are any now. It did not smoke while making these noises, although I think I did smell a bit of oil, but not too sure.

Before this it did not really have any drivability problems, car drove fine until the very moment noises developed. It did have some issue related to water temp sensor (I think - it was not starting on the second try if it did not fully warm up). And I did not drive the car for 2-3 days, and it seemed just a tad slow to start relative to usual when I was driving it to a couple of places today.

I need ideas for some simple things to check tomorrow, before calling AAA and having it towed to my mechanic. A little background, car is 5spd 94 legacy turbo, no engine mods, timing belt with all oem pulleys/rollers/tensioner done last summer, tune up (plugs, wires) last spring.

The only two simple things I can think of that I can check with a wrench on a car parked on the street - dying alternator with seized bearing, or dead and seized up turbo, and I'm not even sure those can have such simptoms. Any other ideas?

Edited by dmanaenk

How many miles on it. Can you describe the noise better? This is not a electronic issue but a mechanical issue. Electronic issues dont make horrible noises.

How old is the water pump?

Pup the hood and inspect the underside of the engine, the belts, the vibration damper.

I'm thinking a sieved water pumo, failed TB tensioner, or things deeper in the engine.

nipper

Water pump was done with TB job last summer. It was new and oem. Tensioner also was also new and oem, as were all other rollers and pulleys, put on by a decent mechanic that works at subaru dealership. Around 120k miles on the car now.

Kinda hard to describe noise more precisely, its not exactly metallic, more like marble rattling/smth getting chopped by a fan I would say.

Engine bay looked fine in the light of a flash light, will take a closer look tomorrow.

Personally I think its a spun rod, but I didn't have any experience with those and don't know if they can develop that quickly with no prior signs and cause the car not to start.