Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas mileage problems

I just bought a 1980 subaru wagon a while back.1.6,single range 4x4 wagon.Supposed to be the original miles at around 60,000[old woman's car that hadn't been tagged or ran in 6 years]Anyway,I bought it, put a fuel tank in it and new fuel pump and got it running pretty good,but the gas mileage is a little depressing.I just measured it tonight at 22.5 miles per gallon.I've been getting between 30 up to 34 out of my 1979 2wd Subaru and was even getting around 20 with a 1987 4x4 wagon with a bad running carb on it.Anyway the car seems to run pretty good,what should a car like mine be getting.I would like to get upper 20's at least.

Well hey is that around town, highway, or ??

It's my understanding that the 4WD cars always do a bit worse than the 2WD cars. My brat, which has the same drive train as your wagon has done high 20s (MPH) on the highway. But that was after a lot of work and having it very well tuned up, I mean the works (new plugs, wires, rotors, valve lash adjustment, new air filter).

Chances are you could stand a tune-up, but that's not too bad for one of these old soobs. Not in my opinion.

It was highway mileage mostly,I made a couple trips in town with it but mostly highway.I knew the 2wd cars would do better but I didn't know it would be that much.I've drove my brother's '89 wgaon it got about 30,but it had the fuel injected engine,fresh tuneup and everything.I was hoping after I get a tuneup on it that I might see 27 mpg.That's was my goal,anyway.

Edited by glh1975

With an EA71 in good shape and a nice tight tune-up you can hit 27 on the highway as long as you are not to heavy footed. :)

Yes, I think both of those cars require the valve adjustment every 12,000. At some point, subaru put in hydraulic lifters, I am not sure when, early 80s or something.

When I first pulled the valve covers off my EA71, I was blown away by the amount of crap and gunk. In addition, the cork gaskets were dried and completely cracked through in many places. I pulled the oil pan off too and just found all kinds of carbon and gunk.

Cheers,

Crabman

• 4 weeks later...