Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is there another way to torque head bolts with out the use of degree adapter. I have a very good and certified torque wrench. Plus the confusing way of doing a head gasket. There has to better way. My 5.9 Cummins diesel uses degree adapter and everybody uses 125 foot pounds in 3 steps instead. I think some of the problem is head bolts coming loose after allot of heating and cooling cycles with the engine. steel expands/contracts at a different rate than alum!

how do you check the torque of the bolts on the engine? Are there Ti bolts out there for the engine?

never heard of Ti bolts for subies however there are ARP head stud kits available for the motors. not particularly cheap though.

they are torque to yield bolts so they stretch after they are tightened up. The reason for all the weird tightening scheme is to stretch them slowly and safely. It is a very good call to follow the standard procedure and really, for the amount time you spend torquing a the bolts properly will save you from doing it again in the near future.

never heard of Ti bolts for subies however there are ARP head stud kits available for the motors. not particularly cheap though.

they are torque to yield bolts so they stretch after they are tightened up. The reason for all the weird tightening scheme is to stretch them slowly and safely. I

No they aren't. TTY bolts are used in other engines but NOT SUBARU. The aluminum threads in the engine would give WAY before the Steel bolt stretches.

I think this myth is perpetuated by being printed in Chiltons or haynes or something. But Subaru makes no mention of useing new bolts, and acttually offers a page for *inspection* of old bolts for reuse.

!st gen EJ25 head bolts can be reused as long as inpected. 2nd gen Ej25 head bolts are supposed to be replaced. Personally have reused both on many engines and have never had a problem.

They are identical bolts. It is only the recommendation that changed, not any functional change in the bolt or engine design. They are still not TTY.