Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I usually carry two flashlights in my pockets.

Just reach under the dash (drivers side directly under the steering wheel). I only use one hand. You will feel a bundle of wires. The two connecters are usually hanging down from that bundle close together. They only have enough wire to plug them together, no extra. When you connect them --do not squeeze them hard enough to click the latch.

You can remove the panel under the steering coulomb to see them. 2 Philips head screws and the top pulls out of clips.

Ok, I connected the two leads under the dashboard and they are on all the time.

A couple days ago, on a hot day the fans were not cycling and the 2.2 overheated, not terribly but water was lost, now I am trying to burp the cooling system again and get the air out.

Edited by ThosL

That does not sound good, they are supposed to cycle. The Engine Control Module is not doing what it should be doing.

Disconnect the battery for a while then reconnect it and repeat the test. Do not start the engine, just turn the key to ON.

Do you have the Service Manual for this car?

Edited by Rampage

Just an update on my situation, I took my car to cardoc a few weeks ago, he looked at it and found the two plugs from the fans to the harness were missing their snaps to hold them shut, so they had gotten loose etc.

two tie wraps and problem solved. He wasn’t even going to charge me but I made him take 20.

thank god for good mechanics.

I was checking the water every couple days anyway, so doubt the water got that low.  It is astonishing the risk level you take with these Subarus from the 90s when anything in the cooling system goes bad and the engine can quickly get cooked!!  To have to call a tow truck for a leak springing up should not be necessary, but apparently is.  

So on the radiator replacement, Advance auto is around $95 for a Carquest unit discounts worked in.

Ebay has some for around $50 delivered.  

Alumiseal may buy me some time if the leak is in the metal.  Finding the source of the leak can be tough.  

You didn’t say what year your car was I don’t think. I got a denso brand off of rockauto I looked they have one for my 95, but not for ex a 97. It’s 70 bucks I’ve been real impressed with denso products.

yeah it’s a pain the coolant thing but the cars are 25 years old.

i replaced my radiator when I had the timing belt kit etc done, and ALL the hoses, which again you can get all from rockauto for about 30 bucks.

but this is about my fifth 90s sube, maybe 6th if you include first one of ex gf. So I know them, if you get them to be good you can have a lot of trouble free miles.

the reason I mention the hoses, there’s a hose like bottom center on the engine, it’s like a small “L”, I think it’s called thermostat bypass hose?

its real easy to miss or ignore it. And 20-25 years of wear it breaks. A few times.

i had one go once, and took it to a shop, they said it was the radiator, but it was the hose it shoots out through the radiator so it looks like that’s the problem. 

So they replaced radiator, I drove it home literally a couple hundred yards, already overheating. I looked underneath at night with a light, yep, it was the hose.

i just replaced it I didn’t even go back to the shop. I just had to get to freaking work.

also I recently got a denso AC and four seasons cooling fan on rockauto for 100 total. I just replaced both. Only after that did I and the mechanic narrow down the plug clips.

theyre old. 

I had the same problem with a 99 Outback that had a 2.2 put in; got a lot of miles though the weight of the car was designed for a 2.5, much stronger engine.  I was out in Middletown NY coming back to CT and that center hose went and there are others under there.  Probably only seasoned Subaru mechanics know what to look for and if you don't tow it, engine can blow.  

I tried some Alumiseal, and waiting for the pressure to come back up with the cap off pouring water in and the pressure release loose, when the pressure came back up there was like a line of leaks on the radiator, probably the plastic.  

Yeah so you know then. it’s amazing they use plastic on radiators at all. 

Personslly I think only one of mine was a 2.5. I have liked the 2.2s, of course less inclined to have bad head gaskets. But knowing them, it’s incredible my 95 now has heated up a few times though not badly, and still loses no coolant. With 230k on it. My other ones, not so, hah hah, they had constant evaporating leaks of course then I lived up north. In Texas here it’s been 100+ for a month.

fingers crossed.

good luck with that sealant. Remember too get a real sube cap and thermostat too. I also replaced the bowl. I think for the sube thermostat and cap and the three front end oil seals it was 100 bucks.

• 2 years later...

I have a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.2 AT AWD, having the issue with my radiator fans not turning on. I’ve had the code P1502 shown. The radiator has been replaced. I’m not sure if the fans need to be replaced also cause I had read this thread and found the green wires while the car is on (not with the engine running). Fans don’t turn on. Is it the relay fuse that’s bad or have the fans finally failed me after 324k?