Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Build Thread: The Sedamn

bigo1966

Hrm...

using this calculator: http://www.riversideruffriders.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.crawlCalc

& this chart: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84798

I came up with 42:1 crawl ratio. Not sure if I did it wrong. I assume you are using the EA82 d/r 5spd?

remember hes got a tranny in that bike engine so 2 trannys i with low range AWesome!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A breif update.

90% wired up.

I need to find a manual rack and pinion.

I bent the hood and broke my front windshield when i went over 25 mph (forgot there was no hood latch):eek::mad:

A 90:1 low range in worthless with open diffs.

Its FAST FAST!!! Infact when I punch it the front lifts up so much it starts to "wander" down the road.

Ok, thats it for now. I need to actually take it off road to get a better idea of how it really works.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing cool.

Building front skidplate out of 1/4" aluminum, cutting out rear fenders more cause tires rub too much and basically lock in the fender. I still need to hook up oil psi and engine temp gauges, need to swap PS R&P to manual R&P. I use the hood latch release as my manual choke cable....works PERFECT. I took it for a spin the other day, hit 25 mph and the hood flew up and broke my new j-yard window. Slowly working on bumpers, roof rack, and spare tire mount, i still need to swap out the rear diff for a welded one and a drive shaft that has a good pillow block bearing.

Im going to bob the rear 1' so i can hopufully put it on a 10' flat bed on my F350 and still pull my 26' camper. The flatbed is way down the road.

Ive been forced to work weekends at my job and im taking Accounting I online so my play time is limited.....

Anyone have a coolant temp sending unit they would send me??? Im too cheap for a new one and no time for the j-yard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got to go play. There are still a few kinks to work out but other than that I was really happy with how she preformed. Im officially changing her name to Hondaroo. I need to weld the rear, hook up a different voltage regulator, bash the fenders more, deal with some bad plugs and wires and ill be good for the next trip.

th_MVI_0610.jpg

th_MVI_0617.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few pics.

IMG_0626.jpg

Alternator works!!!! When building the intermediate shaft between the ST1100 and Subaru trans I welded a pulley off a riding lawnmower gear box in place and i finally got the alternator set in place. I’m using a twist-lock type belt from mcmaster-carr (8 bucks a foot) to drive the alternator. It works great.

IMG_0624.jpg

Mac Gyver would be proud.

• 2 weeks later...

technically, i do not think that is a strut ......pretty sure it is a coilover shock,with a secondary dampening shock...

you can get air shocks that are coilovers to do both jobs for you.

and regardless, you will not be able to use the travel they have to the fullest extent.you will be limited to the travel your axles can take......

but cool is cool.....car looks awesome.i love the clutch.cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

I dont care what it is, air shock, coil over shock or a home made shock. Its a Macpherson strut by the design. Lower controll arm with a strut at the top which the spindle truns around for steering. I should safely support 12" of front travel with out have issues with axles. Ill take 12 over whatever stock is anyday.

correct, regardless....FOA has a good offering in that design. you can get it n a 12"..and that is on the cheaper end of things relative to size.....

i have read good things about them.and you cannot beat the price in comparison to the competitors......

cheers,brain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...