Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emergency...need car prices to fight my insurance co.

EMERGENCY !!!

Help...... I need private party sale prices for a 87 GL-10 4X4 5SPD Turbo Wagon. From anywhere.

My insurance Co. only wants to give me $830 for my wrecked an totaled 87 GL-10 4X4 5spd Turbo Wagon, that really sucks.

I'm trying to fight this, but I need everyone help here.

Chris, fight them. Two years ago they totalled out my son's '83 wagon and offered $600. I pulled every receipt we had for parts, started clipping ads from the paper, checked NADA prices, checked Edmunds prices and Kelly Blue Book and found a range of prices for the car: $900 to $1800. 'Finally settled for $1430. Good luck with this. When you have time, drop me an email. Thanks.

I got $2400 in june for my wrecked 88 GL-10 TurboWagon. I faxed copies of KBB, NADA and Edmunds, along with some local ads for plain old GLs, as there were no GL-10s for sale in my area. post or PM your zip code, along with info on your car, and I would be happy to help you hunt down the info you need.

If it makes you feel any better, the first offer from the insurance company on my wagon was around $800 as well...

After it was all said and done, I bought it back for $25.. took the motor and the 14 inch pugs with brand new tires and transplanted them to the car I'm driving now.

I used to own the car. It is easily worth $2000. I gave you all the receipts when I sold it to you, hopefully that will help some as I have not seen another turbowagon with 180-190K as cherry as this one (and remember the engine was replaced before I got it)

If you want to have the insurance company contact me for any verification of the cost of the car, or what I put into it prior to selling it to you I am more than happy to help.

e-mail me at the_great_mikeholio@yahoo.com is there is anything you need (my address, phone #, whatever...)

Originally posted by Flowmastered87GL

I used to own the car. It is easily worth $2000. I gave you all the receipts when I sold it to you, hopefully that will help some as I have not seen another turbowagon with 180-190K as cherry as this one (and remember the engine was replaced before I got it)

That's why I'll probably never sell my subaru. I'd cringe when I found out it had gone to the great outback in the sky.

Especially if it turned out to be because of improper maintenance.

BC:

If the sleazeballs don't want to play fair, you have several cards you can play.

For starters, the insurance co must provide you with a rental car until you settle. Make sure they understand that you have no intention of taking their lowball BS, and are willing to wait it out if neccessary.

As far as a "fair" settlement, you have the law on your side if you take it to trial and are truly after fair compensation. Forget the Blue Books. They don't apply to cars from this era. You have to go by whats on the market, and what they are selling for. Find one that you would consider, then adjust the settlement amount to make it comporable to what you had.

Remember, both insurance companies (including yours) want to settle quickly and for the least $$. Make it tough on them. Insist that your insurance co sue the other to get a fair settlement. They are supposed to represent you after all. (they'll resist of course-they won't want to pay for legal expenses). Don't let them off the hook.

Finally, don't be intimidated. You have final say.

good luck, John

Keep in mind that the insurance companies WANT to total as many cars as possible because it creates higher revenue.

Your car is totaled so you buy a newer car or a new car, this helps reduce inventory which helps Detroit, the banks then give you a loan so it helps them, the insurance companies then get a higher premium out of the deal.

Everybody wins:banghead: but you.