Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air suspension repair

Air suspentions are very expensive to repair. I have done work on a Chysler product with air suspention, and all I can say is dynamite would have brought great sanity to me on that one. Find a leak, fix it, chase down another. Over and over again. Air struts are very pricey also. I would do what welder says, convert to coil spring and conventional struts.:-\

Almost every air-suspension system Subaru ever made has failed by now. Amazing your's hasn't been converted already. My 92 LS had it but was converted before I got it. Ripped out the pump and reservior when I replaced the driver's side fender.

As said - pull out the struts and replace with a normal coil/shock setup. It will be much cheaper and will keep you sane.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yep, trash the air system and move on. Just get struts all the way around for legacy's.

If you're trying to do this on the cheap you can replace just the front or just the rears and "trick" the system to continue to air up the others. But legacy's are easy to find parts for, just swap them all.

I keep the air suspension systems on my XT6's, but i've got tons of parts. I have a lot of experience with them and they're not worth it for the average daily driver.

The system can actually be very reliable. In my commuters I've actually replaced fewer XT6 air suspension components than EJ front struts. But it'll require a lot of time replacing about 20 orings and reconditioning your struts which most folks aren't prepared to do.

have to agree with everyone else - replace the bags with coilovers - very easy job - did it on my 90 LS wagon.

parts you will need are: springs, struts and tophats - the tophats are a must - the airbag tops will NOT work with standard coilover system. those you can get either used (the way i went) or new (depending on the depth of your wallet...)

unhook/cut air lines, remove old struts, install new struts - pretty much that easy. oh, and unplug/disable the air compressor system....under the drivers seat i think...

ps: this thread should be in the new gen....