Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering Unit differences

ATF and PS fluid are both hydraulic fluids, so it shouldn't matter.

right, but the ea82 ones specify to use ATF. Ben (The dude abides) was running regular PS fluid in his 87, and it was leaking bad. he switched it out to ATF, and the leaks stopped....

I'm guessing there's some reason Subaru specifically says to use ATF on the ea82 PS pumps......

ATF and PS fluid are both hydraulic fluids, so it shouldn't matter.

for some reason it does, my dad put ps fluid in an ea82 and it started leaking, the more it leaked the more he put in and the more it leaked .... :eek:

i wiped off the cap and saw the atf label and started feeding it atf, it eventually sealed up and stopped weeping between the pump and reservoir, and the pump body halves

so, clearly, there is something about the seals that need the additives in the atf

thats weird,i have a sticker on my PS lid that says to use ATF as well.and it is on an ea81.odd,my other one says that too.cheers, brian

which ea81 PS pump? the long bracket style from the ea81 or the one from an ea81T?

My long bracket ones don't have any stickers at all. I've had 4-5 of them, and never seen anything. only on the ea82 style I've seen it (and never paid attention to it on the ea81t's I've had.

the one in my 83 n/a wagon daily driver is that way.but i do have a leak,so maybe someone put a different cap on.

the other pump i have i am not sure where it came from,but same pump style,(long bracket up front with tensioner) and cap states atf dexron same as the one in the wagon.

but it seems unlikely that i would have two that are the same style with the same cap and the caps got switched on both of them.

as the caps seem to have a proper fitment,they seal and such.

i tried taking pics but i cannot get it to focus that close to read the writing.i am inept when it comes to cameralinga........:lol:

and i always thought the ea81t had an ea82 style pump mounted in the middle.

cheers, brian

I Don`t know Why, but when the Power Steerin` Pump in my EA82 Wagon got to Sound Loudly and it was Using ATF Only ... :eek: ... I Changed it and the new (from a Junk Yard) Pump sound Loudly with ATF... So I Switched to Power Steerin` Fluid and the Problem is Gone.

No Problems so far and it has around five years with Just Power Steerin` Fluid.

Maybe it is Related to the Climates...

All the Subaru power steering systems I've used and maintained have been plain old ATF (and I prefer it that way). That includes EA81's, EA82's(T), and EJ22's(T).

GD

yep. I know all EJ ones use ATF.

and yea, I've seen a few pumps fail when using standard PS fluid. the seals fail more quickly, an air bubble gets in there, the fluid starts to cavitate, and before long, the pump is shot.

slightly off-topic. but an EA82 pump and an EJ22 pump are almost identical, except the mounting bolt size, and case material (EA82s are steel, EJs are aluminum).