Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 and 1998 Legacy Questions

You might also want to check for oil leaks to, such as the crankshaft seal along the oil pump o ring, camseals, valve cover gaskets, oil pan, and the rear seperator plate. These are very easy to detect, just have a mechanic put it up on a lift and look at it with him. The seperator plate is a hard one sometimes, but it leaks in back of the engine then onto the crossmember then onto your exhaust. You replace it with a metal one, but you have to have the engine removed or tranny to do this job. This goes for both years you are looking at to.

Man, okay, I vote for the 98 because if either needed a new engine-I'd rather put it in the red-which can take the 2.5 or 2.2? Plus, the 25K is not much of difference for 2 years newer better car.

all this talk about the HGs on the 2.5. but if they need to be done-then you'e basically doing a complete top end right? Is it worth putting $1500 into HGs and valves etc.? what is the potential lifespan of the short block with rebuilt heads-assuming minimal abuse?

try to get the 98 for 2800 :-\

i've been so hung up on the no 2.5L in the LSi that i've lost track of this thread.

IMHO, 3000$ for 200k is too high, but that's just me. and i'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the head gaskets have already been done. no way is it worth 3k$ with original head gaskets.

question: if they blow now how many would repair and how many would 2.2 swap? is the 2.5 worth putting new gaskets on at 200k? and the other one isn't much better.

some one recently commented that the wiggle room on dealer used cars was 40%, so if you really want that red car, i'd offer 1800$ and go from there. or buy another legacy for 2000$ and then spend 1000$ on red paint and GT wheels.

and finally, both cars have the 2.5L engine, unless a swap was done, according to http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive95_97.html#1996%20legacy%20specs/colors .

the 96 LSi was not available with a 2.2L engine, 2.5L engine and auto trans was standard.

Edited by johnceggleston

i've been so hung up on the no 2.5L in the LSi that i've lost track of this thread.

IMHO, 3000$ for 200k is too high, but that's just me. and i'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the head gaskets have already been done. no way is it worth 3k$ with original head gaskets.

question: if they blow now how many would repair and how many would 2.2 swap? is the 2.5 worth putting new gaskets on at 200k? and the other one isn't much better.

some one recently commented that the wiggle room on dealer used cars was 40%, so if you really want that red car, i'd offer 1800$ and go from there. or buy another legacy for 2000$ and then spend 1000$ on red paint and GT wheels.

and finally, both cars have the 2.5L engine, unless a swap was done, according to http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive95_97.html#1996%20legacy%20specs/colors .

the 96 LSi was not available with a 2.2L engine, 2.5L engine and auto trans was standard.

ok so you definitely making me think here. he wants 3k for the GT. now u say to offer him 1800 for the GT minimum. whats the highest dat i should go before saying take it or no deal?

You're in Virginia.

The market for these cars is not as high as it is on the west coast.

Plus the cars out here have ZERO rust. I'd say $3000 is actually kinda low for my area. But in CA, older cars are slightly less desirable as CALI has insane emmissions laws that even some perfect running vehichles just can't pass.

$2000-$3000 sounds about right for good examples of this generation of legacies. Hell I see 98 and 99 Outbacks still selling here for $4800 or more.

I am still pretty sure that there were NOT any regular Legacies with the 2.5 in 96. GT and Outback only I am 90% sure.

You're in Virginia.

The market for these cars is not as high as it is on the west coast.

Plus the cars out here have ZERO rust. I'd say $3000 is actually kinda low for my area. But in CA, older cars are slightly less desirable as CALI has insane emmissions laws that even some perfect running vehichles just can't pass.

$2000-$3000 sounds about right for good examples of this generation of legacies. Hell I see 98 and 99 Outbacks still selling here for $4800 or more.

I am still pretty sure that there were NOT any regular Legacies with the 2.5 in 96. GT and Outback only I am 90% sure.

thank you. thats why i'm looking for something newer. i have an 86' GL-10 Turbo wagon that i know for fact isnt gonna pass smog. here in california at least. one question im gonna dare to ask is. which engine is more reliable? the ea82T or the engine on the 98' GT? i've had my share of trouble with the GL-10. i also have an 85' GL N/A ea82 with 239k original miles and goodness dat car is reliable.

o by the way the GT is smogged and ready to go here in California.

You're in Virginia.

you're right, i'm comparing it to here, but what's the worst thing that can happen, the seller says no to 1800$. there are lots of 200k subarus out there.

as for the LSi, i've never seen or driven one, but i find it hard to believe that 2 different sources show the 96 - 97 LSi as 2.5L and both are wrong. besides, the auto trans for the LSi is the TZ102Z2CAA which has the 4.44 final drive like the GT and outback. this final drive was only used with the 2.5 engine, never the 2.2L engine.

the cars101 web site show the 2.2 as n/a for the LSi 96 - 97, not even an option. it also shows 97 as 'limited production'.