Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about available rally tires

edrach

I'm looking into adding too (or replacing my mud tires) and I'm looking for a more versatile tire for rallyX in a 14" size. My understanding is the Falkens and Kumho rally tires are no longer available. I'd consider the Silerstone S55, but have heard they are not so good. I'm looking for a tire that's good on wet grass or soft dirt without being crappy in the unusual dry conditions. I'm also soliciting opinions about how the various brands actually perform on various surfaces.

Edited by edrach

To be quite honest, I have no real experience with actual rallyX. I do however, like to get out on the forest roads once in a while and play rally driver just a bit. I have found that a good set of winter tires with the studs removed works REALLY well in almost all conditions. Now, I'm not sure how that'll translate into actual rallyX usage since the speeds I usually play at seldom exceed 45-50 mph. On the legacy wagon, I use 205/70-14 when playing. If you should try this, I think I'd recommend against getting something like a set of Hakka's. Just plain-jane winter tires.

The primary reason in my mind for rally tires is the stiffer sidewall and bead strength. Even on dirt, I've seen people pop a bead because of excessive side loading on snow tires.

Most of those occur because people drop the tire pressure in an effort to get more traction. I've had the bead pop on my quality snow tires even though I kept the pressure over 36 PSI.

Speed is not usually an issue since most rallycrosses seldom get out of first gear; halfway through second happens very seldom; mostly due to the fact that there are not many long straights to get the speed up to the top end of 2nd.

If people are popping beads owing to low pressure, that implies to me that you should probably get off the psgr car snow tires and maybe get into a light truck tire. Heavier bead, stiffer sidewalls that way. What size tire are you running?

I suppose you could get a set of the Pirelli Scorpions they use for WRC, but frankly I'm amazed they have kept that rule. I have never once been on a set of Pirelli's that I was even kind of impressed with. Especially given the money you pay for a set of them.

Just found www.thetireshoppe.com. They apparently have some Hankooks in stock. At least according to their web site.

If people are popping beads owing to low pressure, that implies to me that you should probably get off the psgr car snow tires and maybe get into a light truck tire. Heavier bead, stiffer sidewalls that way. What size tire are you running?

I suppose you could get a set of the Pirelli Scorpions they use for WRC, but frankly I'm amazed they have kept that rule. I have never once been on a set of Pirelli's that I was even kind of impressed with. Especially given the money you pay for a set of them.

Just found www.thetireshoppe.com. They apparently have some Hankooks in stock. At least according to their web site.

Actually, what I said is that I popped a bead on a quality snow tire even though I did NOT lower the tire pressure. I was running at 36PSI and all three of us popped a bead on different runs (multiple drivers). My purpose is going with a rally tire with stiffer sidewalls and a stronger bead.

I use a 195/70-14 tire for rallycross. Light truck tires will not fit on my Impreza.