Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm driving a 1993 Subaru Impreza wagon 2wd 5spd but I could use some more room in the boot. It's a chore to cram 3 people's worth of camping gear in it. Not to mention it's kind of difficult to sleep in the back which is what I prefer to do when camping.

So I ran across a '96 Outback 5spd (EJ22) red with white hatch. Pretty good shape, just one dent on passenger side rear and some other very small dings. 115,000 miles with new timing belt and water pump. $3000 (seems a little high to me...)

The Impreza gets 30mpg even if I drive it pretty hard. If I go easy on it I get 35-36mpg. What should I expect out of the Outback? I'm willing to take a small cut in mileage (2-3mpg) for the extra clearance, AWD and much needed room. Do you guys think this is a fair price for a low mileage EJ22 powered Outback?

$3,000 seems somewhat high to me, by about $500 to $800 in myo. Red with a white hatch? The different colored hatch, implies that the hatch is not the original. Ask the seller what that is about.

Gas millage with AWD will be max 30 mpg on freeway driving, prolly 25 max driving around town. Subtract another 2 mpg if it is automatic transmission.

The 96 does have the desirable 2.2 motor with no head gasket issues.

my 90 LS wagon, AWD, 4eat gets around 28-29mpg overall average - a bit less in winter (26 or so) with warm-up time.

different color hatch could mean a lot of things - from an actual fender bender to something as simple as the glass getting broken - often cheaper & easier to replace the whole hatch, than to try to replace just the glass...would find out the reason for the hatch change.

would also try to talk the price down a bit... 2200-2500 would be reasonable in my mind

He said the hatch got damaged when the previous owner backed it into a garage with bikes mounted on the rear.

UPDATE: I just got a call from the guy and he said it's sold. This guy also does hydrogen power retrofit kits to Subarus too. I'm wondering if all these Subarus I've been seeing around are hydrogen hybrids (look for my thread in Off Topic).