Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what to check when buying an ea82 wagon

i'm contemplating purchasing another ea82 4WD wagon. Not sure whether it is PB or DR. It's an '87gl. i plan on using all the good parts from 2 cars to make 1 well functioning car.

what things should i look for/check/examine/test/etc¿

any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

i post again when i get more info such as mileage, fuel delivery system, and trim.

Currently finding rotted fuel pumps in SPFI cars out east here.You guys are a little less humid/less rust I assume.

There's plenty more to check but that stands out lately.My '87-89 cars have been great.SPFI is simple and efficient enough.

Good luck with it.

First - drive it! You know what it's supposed to feel/sound/ride like from your 88. (assuming it runs)

Check for any service records - Tbelt especially.

Look at the CV axles and see if the boots are torn up.

Check engine light on? Read the codes and see what the computer is unhappy about.

Cracked heads!

I don't know if that old of EA82's had chronic problems, but my '91 SPFI EA82 has a cracked head, which I understand is not uncommon. Pull the plugs after it's been good and hot and look for steam coming from the cylinders. Check the plug ends to see if they're too clean. Smell the exhaust - burning coolant will smell sweet. These symptoms could also indicate a leaking intake manifold gasket. Oil in the coolant is a telltale sign of a cracked head or leaking head gasket.

i plan on buying this other wagon is because i need CV axles up front and the pass. side front tire is about a 1/2 to 1 1/2" farther back than the driver's side.

i plan on taking all the good parts and making a well functioning auto out of them. so the engine can be shot or whatever. it doesn't matter too much to me. i just need a solid body to handle the fuel injected fury of the ea82 engine.

guy says that the clutch is out. i just installed a new one about a week or two ago.

the car has been sitting for 3-6 months if memmory serves correct. hopefully i can get another D/R tranny out of it.

guy wants $550 obo. i'm gonna offer 350 @ theend f he month. i'll just gop from there. what's nice is the fact that i make sales for a living. i hope this guy is ready for the biggest pile of BS this side of the mason dixson.:D