Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ongoing fuel starvation issue '84 GL

I am by no means a mechanic and I am nowhere near as knowledgable as these guys. I have always been a propoenent of keeping things simple.

Have you checked your throttle cable? My theory is that it is not snug/tight and that your throttle body is not opening up enough. Why you say? I have been looking all over the internet for people having similar symptoms as you. Here is one of the links I found that may be helpful...

http://www.vw-resource.com/more_power.html

" Someone wrote - I am not getting the fourth gear speed after I get on highway. It runs fine starting, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gear but when I get into 4th gear, it will only run maybe 40 mph. Any advice?

Rob responded - To check if the throttle is opening up all the way, get a friend to press the pedal all the way down (or maybe put a brick on it if you don't have a friend available at the moment) and look at the linkage on the carburetor. The throttle arm should be pulled up to the stop.

Another easy test - floor it in 3rd and you should get up close to 60mph in that gear. The engine is noisy at that speed but it's revving at less than 5000rpm so perfectly safe. If you are getting only about 30mph then yes - the throttle must be limited or there is some other problem.

Are you sure it's firing on all cylinders? Smooth idle?

Dave also had some input - Check for any interference that may be causing the accelerator cable to hang up so that it will not open the throttle fully – like between the accelerator pump linkage and the generator – or have you replaced the generator with an alternator? If so, the interference is even more likely. Some judicious grinding on the alternator body may be necessary.

Check to make sure the accelerator cable isn’t too loose so that it will not pull the throttle arm down all the way. You can adjust the accelerator cable length with the barrel clamp at the base of the throttle arm. Either too loose or too tight can cause problems."

There were other solutions but this seemed relatively simple. Perhaps when you were working on the hood linkage, the throttle cable was 'loosened'. Good luck! :)

Update: I didn't mess with above mentioned part, but thanks for the input Tom

I put on a brand spankin' new Weber, jetted correctly for my altitude.

Awesome low end, but i still cant get above 40 on a consistent basis.

Jerks back and forth when under load in 3rd @ around 2500 rpm.

I am really doubting it's carb related now.

The valve lash could probably use adjusting, but i can rev to 7k just fine.

What would make it run great, then fall flat on it's face?

Vac Advance? PCV not being hooked up ?

HELP!

Check fuel pressure while it "Jerks back and forth when under load in 3rd @ around 2500 rpm."

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So i drove around for a couple of days with the exhaust off,

and it seems to have solved my problem.

Could have blown a carbon buildup out of the heads :confused:

Still pretty tired feeling, but i got up to 65 on the speedo w/27's

Can't ask for much more than that out of an EA81.

• 4 months later...

Interesting - that's what I had suspected. Perhaps something clogged in the muffler? You already gutted the cat so unless some peices of it got into the muffler......? Maybe it rusted out internally and has a blockage?

I don't know where the restriction would be, but sounds like you found something with your test. Let us know what you find in the exhaust.

I've hit 75 or 80 on the speedo with 28's on my lifted wagon..... but it has an EXCELENT used hydro-lifter EA81 on it from a low-mileage automatic coupe. Have you done a valve adjustment?

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey Pete, this reminded me of your problem. It looks like it may have been solved here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105228

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave, that's one thing i haven't done is drop the tank.

JB's mom was suggesting the sock was mucked up, which makes sense.

I'll look into it someday, when i feel like being disappointed again :-\.

Has anyone ever had fuel volume problems using the stock facet style fuel pump with a Weber ? It's suggested on the redline site to use a Carter high volume/ low PSI pump to properly feed the Weber.

Have you done a valve adjustment?

There is no muffler at all on the exhaust, so that cannot possibly be restricted. Does the same thing with open headers even.

Have not done a valve adjustment, I've always feared it. They do chatter a bit 2.5k RPM and beyond, so it could stand to be done.

Edited by Greenley

No, the feedback system wouldn't have anything to do with the fuel pump. The EA81 feedback system does not control the fuel pump.

Yeah - with the Weber the feedback doesn't do anything anymore. It's only job was to regulate air to the high speed/low speed air-bleed's of the Hitachi.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder