Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cat Converter Swap - Compatibility question

I've had the dreaded P0420 light for 7 months. I have replaced both 02 sensors and the light still comes back. I've found a used cat from a 2000 Legacy g/t at a reasonable price. Will it fit my 2002 outback?

any help would be appreciated!

-dave

Selling or buying used Cats to install on a car is illegal. So is actually installing it.

Did you replace the 02 sensors with OEM?

it may not be your cats

When parting cars the cats seem to be the same on the two cars you were speaking of.

As pointed out selling or installing used cats is illegal. (the Gov't is your friend). Can't figure out what the big deal is. If the car passes emissions test that's all that SHOULD matter. My guess is that the manufacturers had a hand in making used ones illegal. But I really don't know.

The used cats that I've sold have been for scrap - not reuse - and none recently. Now that platinum and paladium is down I'm just hanging onto the few that I have hoping that the price goes up.

Edited by davebugs
Gloyale covered part of it in is post while I was typing

Selling or buying used Cats to install on a car is illegal. So is actually installing it.

Yes. So please pay up $1,000 for a new one.

"I know, let's make something laced with platinum a required component!"

Please don't take the above seriously.

Good point. So many silly laws. And whatever you do, don't grow your own dope or brew your own beer! That might let you buy less taxable product from the big Pharms and Breweries! Can't have that! :-)

I have to agree with you, but for the sake of keeping things here about Subarus, I won't get started.

nipper etc....soooo back to the question at hand. compatibility? confirmatino?

They should be compatable.

And I just priced the cats(it is 2 in a section of pipe between flanges) and they should only be about $1050 list from subaru. someone was jackin you around.

This was literally yesterday that I priced it. whole deal with gaskets, bolts, new heat sheild(apparently the shape changed somewhat and the old shield won;t fit new cat?) and new 02 sensor came to about $1250

You get what you pay for off of ebay, let the buyer beware, and dont come back here whining if it doesnt work, doesnt fit, or doenst look like the one that came off your car.

Great PSA

But I am curious. Looks like excactly the part, and there description isn't typical "garbage" seems like they have some sorta clue.

Someone buy one and try it

My current ride is sporting a used cat I took off a junk car I bought. If it fits it'll work. Had the same issue before I found the junk car, the used cat worked. Who's going to know and how do they prove it? The cats aren't serialized or unique to the car. It's really only illegal for a shop or dealer to install a used cat on your car, you can do what you want, again who's to know?

My current ride is sporting a used cat I took off a junk car I bought. If it fits it'll work. Had the same issue before I found the junk car, the used cat worked. Who's going to know and how do they prove it? The cats aren't serialized or unique to the car. It's really only illegal for a shop or dealer to install a used cat on your car, you can do what you want, again who's to know?

That's like saying it's only illegal to steal if there is a camera that can bust you. It is illegal even if it is your car. Hell it is technically illegal to reinstall a cat that has fallen off of the same car.

Of course it will work.

I was just pointing out why you can't just buy a used one. You have to get a whole car