Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch Patrol/NW Washington Offroad Group/Older School Meet

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at some of the Subaru off-roading vids.. And i noticed alot don't have lifts.. They just have the fenders cut out.. what do you do about the back door? Do you weld it? or just relocate the rear seal?

The rear seal is way on the inner part of the door frame. I haven't needed to cut that much out to afect the seal.

The rear seal is way on the inner part of the door frame. I haven't needed to cut that much out to afect the seal.

Yeah, I figured that out when I measured where to cut. It's all done now, and I'm installing a winch on the front bumper.

Does anyone have a spare CB antenna lying around? the one I have barely gets signal past 30 feet away, since its only a foot tall magnetic one.

That car is not going to look like that after a swing around EC, Is your rearend welded?

Jeff

No, its not.. I don't really want to hurt the drivability by welding the rear end up.

As long as the front windsheild dosent break, I dont care. lol

No, its not.. I don't really want to hurt the drivability by welding the rear end up.

As long as the front windsheild dosent break, I dont care. lol

I for the longest time was aginst welding the rearend, but after I did I will never have a wheeler without one, the driveablity of the rig does not go down whats so ever, and you will be very limited on where you will be going, If EC is anything like Walker, You will beat your car harder with out a welded rearend, just trying to get a run at the big things, or you just wount make it without a pull.....................

Jeff

I for the longest time was aginst welding the rearend, but after I did I will never have a wheeler without one, the driveablity of the rig does not go down whats so ever, and you will be very limited on where you will be going, If EC is anything like Walker, You will beat your car harder with out a welded rearend, just trying to get a run at the big things, or you just wount make it without a pull.....................

Jeff

So, how does one weld the rearends in these cars? I might just do that then..

you're saying that I can drive it around town and long road trips with it welded? I'm not gonna blow up my CV's?

So, how does one weld the rearends in these cars? I might just do that then..

you're saying that I can drive it around town and long road trips with it welded? I'm not gonna blow up my CV's?

You can always pull an axle out in the rear if you are going to go for a long drive, but for the most part you can leave it in. All you have to do it drop the rearend out pull the cover off and weld the spider gears. Fill it back up with fluid and put it back in........... I'm sure there is a thread abou it somewhere on here.

Sorry Zap for gettin off the subject here.

Jeff

Edited by one eye

Sorry Zap for gettin off the subject here.

Jeff

:grin: No problem. I think it's a good idea to let the new guys know what's up. Cuz ya see, about the second time we're having to pull out a new guy cuz he didn't believe us, that's when folks start getting impatient and less fun is had. Feelings get hurt, tempers flare, all that. ;)

Wolf, you'd do well to listen to Jeff, he's been wheeling these Soobs for teh better part of 10 years.

Do a search in the off road part for welded diffs, there's plenty of threads there that will help you.

Maybe put an add in the wanted section of the classifieds and ask to see if anyone has an extra they'd sell cheap.

I'm excited now 26 days to go, I'm not even going to drive my maroon and black wheeler till its time to go, I dont want anything to break............ I am going to begin getting all my extra parts in line for this run, Looks like I'll only have two rigs down there, but I cant wait.............

Jeff

I'm gonna put together a vid to be uploaded for viewing online. It'll show the actual trails and Soobies in action. Gimme a minute bro, I'll get it done. ;)

Have you ever got this done Zap??? Not pushing you to do it but it would be cool to see.......................:grin:

Jeff

listen to Jeff, he's been wheeling these Soobs for teh better part of 10 years.

I didnt belive people at one point, but Troy (sti-wolf) has a pretty open mind, I think he is taking it all in an will have it down pretty good in a short period of time. He has a way better start than I did back in the day........

m_7bf71c7bc60f3029ac2b96e74ab68442.jpg m_31bbe20acf9879298a1de632891d3cc3.jpg That was WCSS3 and it took me a while to take in what everyone around me told me. Like weld the rearend, lift, and good tires. At a certian point you start to know what you like for the way you wheel, I liked to use lots of the skinny pedal and I would go through Rear axles like mad in Gen2's so I went to Gen3 Wagons and put an EA81 in it, over time I have found you can do a lot better wheelin by not standing on the gas, I try not to even break the tires loose on real technical trails, but in the next couple of weeks troy is talkin about coming back up and we'll hook him up with a lift and welded rearend............................

Jeff

im gonna go buy me a good road map, but who has the best way to get there from Snoqualmie Pass? Or would it be faster to take Chinook pass?

-Bill

The easiest would be Chinook Pass.

Stay on hiway 410 till you get to Buckley, then take hiway 165 all the way to Evans Crk ORV.

I'll see if I can get a Google map up for you.

View Larger Map

Edited by Turbone