Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I always remove them to lube things up, check the boots, etc.

Just hang the caliper from a wire running to the strut spring.

If you're that far into the job you wanna check the slides, etc in my opinion.

Edited by davebugs
typing abilities

You might want to consider purchasing the reseal kit for your vehicle. Around $20 (per axle) from a Suburau discounter. Given it's age, might be time to replace all the boots and piston seals. Easy enough to do while you're working on the brakes anyways.

I always remove them to lube things up, check the boots, etc.

Just hang the caliper from a wire running to the strut spring.

If you're that far into the job you wanna check the slides, etc in my opinion.

Instead of hanging the caliper from a wire, I find a small cardboard box lying around, and just lay the caliper on top of the box. The result is the same. You just don't want the caliper hanging by the rubber brake line.

You might want to consider purchasing the reseal kit for your vehicle. Around $20 (per axle) from a Suburau discounter. Given it's age, might be time to replace all the boots and piston seals. Easy enough to do while you're working on the brakes anyways.

Any special tools or special skill needed to replace the boots and piston seals? I have never done this, and would like to learn when I do the brakes on my Subie this Spring.

Boots are easy - just require a little patience. I get generic ones that come in a black box. Never even priced original parts for this. I just keep a box (or partial box) around.

Piston seals I've never done. If there is a problem there I just install a reman caliper.

A failed piston seal will allow brake fluid to get past it, but it might not be obvious if it's just starting to go bad, since the boot can retain some fluid. Neither the piston seal nor the boot is difficult to replace, although care has to be taken to avoid marring surfaces. However, scoring or pitting of the piston and/or bore (often due to contaminated brake fluid) can also cause leakage, and a new seal won't resolve that.