Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Racer RX, future plans. No so secret mobile!

WJM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dr. RX

Marnix, send them to me, I'll post them.

Will take a few pics this weekend and send them to you on Monday.

Did you know that all early EJ20 closed deck engines had the oil squirters for the pistons? Even the normally aspirated ones?

:D

Marnix, I had heard that before, but had also heard that only the USDM EJ22 Turbo had them. It was hard for me to think that Subaru would only do that for one series of engines.

Jon, because of the position of the left turbo and the brake boost on the USDM, the twin turbo will not easily install into an EA82 series car. Not saying it can't be done, just that there would be a LOT of modification that had to be done.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT JUST OCCURED TO ME?!?!??!?!

Sorry for the excitement....

BUT....the Legacy turbo block is closed deck. So is the EA82T. It is gridded, both of them like that....unless I am remembering something completely wrong. Are the EJ20G/K/7 gridded too? And a medium cast like the EJ22 turbo block?

If so...that means the EA82T engine is a medium cast. And 300 hp is realistic.....its just so detuned it not even funny.

I believe that materials are the same for all engines.

The EJ22 normally aspirated and I believe also the open deck EJ20G/K/5 are alle non-gridded. I wouldn't know about the EJ20H/R/7/9.

But sofar, the gridded / non-gridded castings show the difference between closed deck and open deck.

I think this stands as long as nobody proves this theory wrong.

Same AL, just a different way of making the block.

High pressure cast for most everything else...means it got air bubbles in it and its no so strong.

Medium pressure means there are no bubbles, and its stronger....but it takes a better cooling system to take the heat away from the block, as it hold head better.

Someone hit it well on NASIOC, in a thread I read a while back....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352136&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

xephyr:

7. The T.Leg short block is made of a different aluminum than all the other open deck blocks. It is a sandcasted "medium pressure diecast aluminum crankcase...utilized to secure the higher rigidity necessary with a closed deck." (SAE technical document #890471). The open deck block "is made of high pressure die cast aluminum". High pressure casting unfortunately forces tiny little bubbles into the aluminum as it cools down, but as whole is cheaper to process by Subaru. In short, THE T.LEGACY BLOCK IS DENSER, MORE RIGID AND STRONGER THAN OPEN DECK BLOCKS. IT IS ALSO SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EXPENSIVE TO PRODUCE BY SUBARU. On the downside, because of its higher density, it retains more heat and requires more attention to cooling.

Maybe its a different AL...but i think its the same, just a different process to make the block. Forged steel vs cast steel, right?

Oh and I do have the SAE document he is talking of. I think i have it online as well, if anyone is interested.

http://www.geocities.com/wmaham1701/other_files/subaruengines.pdf

Here is a chart of most of the engines SUABRU made...I dont know who made it...Marnix maybe? (copy and paste the link)

http://www.geocities.com/wmaham1701/other_files/subaruengines.jpg

Have fun!

Don't know where that list of engines came from but the engine codes are not correct, look at Marnix's list, those are the correct codes. I have a copy of the paper sitting on the floor next to my computer. I have been a memeber of SAE for almost 20 years. I find it interesting that the only picture of a block in the paper is one of an open deck block (page 5).

THE T.LEGACY BLOCK IS DENSER, MORE RIGID AND STRONGER THAN OPEN DECK BLOCKS. IT IS ALSO SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EXPENSIVE TO PRODUCE BY SUBARU

Now that you mention it, last night I took up both open deck and closed deck blocks (but one at a time, :-p ) and the closed deck block is *significantly* heavier, I reckon anything between 10 and 25 lbs. Too bad I don't have a scale that can take the weight of the engine, I only have a kitchen scale which I use for balancing and blueprinting pistons and connecting rods.

:D

I compared EJ20 OD vs EJ20 CD. However, I have an EJ22 OD sitting on top of a pile of engines in my garage, and it also was non-gridded.

Let me know what you find out.

Yesterday I finished putting the MY90 CD DOHC heads on a rebuilt MY92 OD EJ20 block. It's almost ready and supposed to go into the Wagon once I convert it to 4WD. Now that I also have bought an engine crane for only 50$ the games can commence!

Here is a pict of the grid work on a EA82T.

Where in the literature does it say that "all blocks cast with a grid work are of made using the medium cast method"?

Or is this pure conjecture?

Is the EA82T block open or closed deck?

This is what Marnix had used to tell which was a closed deck in the first place. If it isn't closed then what is to say it isn't medium cast?

Seems to me, conclusion jumping should be an Olympic event around here.

How does one ascertain this feature of open/closed?

EA82Tblock.JPG