Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap Imprezza ECU EJ25 to a Legacy Ej25.

Read abit about this on NASIOC.

I have a 96, which requires premium fuel and has less hp.

If I swap in an EJ25 ECU from an imprezza..would it be a direct swap in? (As both ECU's will be Hitachi's, same pinnouts..)

I'd just flash my ECU, I just don'y have subie dealer software or hidash. :confused:

yep - EJ25 = EJ25 = EJ22...you can swap EJ computers all day long between 1996 and 1998 cars at least. i've even done it on a 1996 Legacy EJ25.

are you sure that's all you need to do to "change" the premium requirement?

Prolly not :P But, I wouldn't mind using it to test it out.

People have done this before over on NASIOC; and they've said they've gotten more HP, more torque and, no longer needed the premium fuel requirement.

But, apparantly theres some knouck sensors or something which will throw the check engine code anyway :P so not sure about those..but still it's something I'd wana do for fun at the very least. :banana:

I wonder if the imprezza's TCU is also different from a 4EAT legacy.

I wonder if the imprezza's TCU is also different from a 4EAT legacy.
wonder no longer, yes they're interchangeable.

4EAT = 4EAT. as long as you don't cross years when major things changed, they will interchange very easily.

of course the algorithms will be different to match the vehicle characteristics.

wonder no longer, yes they're interchangeable.

4EAT = 4EAT. as long as you don't cross years when major things changed, they will interchange very easily.

of course the algorithms will be different to match the vehicle characteristics.

Hehe, wow, that really does make me wonder now..

Would you happen to know if the TCU is propgrammed per transmission? e.g. Lets say my car has an TZ102z1AAA-CH, but now the transmission is a TZ102z2ABA-CH. Would having the TCU from the AAA, and now having it to a ABA matter muchh or not much at all?

(I ask because, my tranny has been swapped..and this could rectify alot of problems, if a TCU from a ABA-CH would properly work on mine.

now the fun part is to find one; or reprogram my TCU (possible, just need subaru software, and some hardware diagrams.unless subaru's take a k-line connection..hehe