Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans interchange

fender bender

The transmission will literally bolt-it, you will need a pressure plate intead of a flywheel. You may need to clarify how the car controls the auto, and make sure those circuits are available or put into your car, because that is the 4EAT transmission E for electric control, not vacuum, and AT for auto trans.

There may be some clearance issues in the transmission tunnel, nothing a hammer could not fix.

If you can wait long enough on this thread I'm sure some here can direct you to an answer.

Lets help out Fender Bender guys! Who can make him a kit? or give a wiring diagram?

Subyaddict

The transmission will literally bolt-it, you will need a pressure plate intead of a flywheel. You may need to clarify how the car controls the auto, and make sure those circuits are available or put into your car, because that is the 4EAT transmission E for electric control, not vacuum, and AT for auto trans.

There may be some clearance issues in the transmission tunnel, nothing a hammer could not fix.

If you can wait long enough on this thread I'm sure some here can direct you to an answer.

Lets help out Fender Bender guys! Who can make him a kit? or give a wiring diagram?

Subyaddict

what on earth are you talking about?!

seriously, fender bender, ignore everything in this last post. I don't know what on earth he thought he was referring to, but had nothing to do with your issue.

yea, assuming the '98 is also an auto, it'll all bolt straight up, plug in, and work just fine. no modifications required.

the transmissions are identical, but the bellhousings will be different. it still works and stuff, but you'll notice the bolt pattern is different. the 4 existing holes will still line up, use those, but you'll only have one holding the starter in place. easy to work around, either make another point or just use the one.

Ok

That answers my question.I appreciate all the help.I just want to try and get another year or 2 out of it.It runs great but the trans is starting to hang in gear sometime and other times it shifts into netural instead of the next gear,but its got 190,000 on it so I cant ask for more than that.I have been changing the fluid on a regular basis since I got it but it had 130,000 when I bought it.Its not getting any better.

Thanks again

Stan

the transmissions are identical, but the bellhousings will be different. it still works and stuff, but you'll notice the bolt pattern is different. the 4 existing holes will still line up, use those, but you'll only have one holding the starter in place. easy to work around, either make another point or just use the one.

That's 99 when they went to the 8 bolt bellhousing pattern, or at least all the 98 ones I have had through here were 4 bolt and the 99's were 8. Subaru did some weird stuff, so I'm not saying it's not possible for there to be an 8 bolt 98 out there. And the bottom starter stud is there on the 8 bolt trans. I have a 99 here right now with a 95 engine in it and it has the lower stud. The starter is held on with a bolt on the top and a stud on the bottom. Even the newer ones like several 02 WRX's I have had, had the lower stud.

Gary, Sorry, but I have to correct this. I really want to post pictures about it but I haven't taken them yet.

THE LOWER STARTER BOLT NOT PART OF THE ENGINE TO TRANS MOUNTING SYSTEM on ANY year AUTOMATIC subaru trans.

The lower starter bolt is a stud in the bell, just like all the older stuff.

No tricks. Just use 4 of the 8 bolt holes and bolt on the starter.

Besides, that bellhousing change wasn't til 99 MY anyhow Edited by Gloyale

i don't often read retrofit posts. the trans are the same, they even have the same part number stamped on the bell housing, TZ102Z2DBA.

to fender bender, you can use any auto trans, 96 - 98 from a 2.5L legacy, GT, LSi or outback, as long as the trans part munber starts with TZ102Z2...... the last 3 letters are unimportant.

Gloyale: when subaru switched to the 8 bolt bell housing the lower stud was replaced with a bolt for the engine to tranns.

No it wasn't. I have the trans from a 99 outback wagon sitting on the floor of my shop. It is the new design, with 8 bolt holes, AND A STUD FOR THE LOWER STARTER MOUNT THAT IS ENTIRELY NOT PART OF MOUNTING THE ENGINE TO TRANS.

It is excactly like I said.

I swear no one will believe me til I post pics:rolleyes:

No it wasn't. I have the trans from a 99 outback wagon sitting on the floor of my shop. It is the new design, with 8 bolt holes, AND A STUD FOR THE LOWER STARTER MOUNT THAT IS ENTIRELY NOT PART OF MOUNTING THE ENGINE TO TRANS.

It is excactly like I said.

I swear no one will believe me til I post pics:rolleyes:

I have a few of the transmissions here and the cars too. You are correct.

• 4 years later...

I've had a 1998 with old style trans (no external filter) and a 1998 with the new style (external screw on filter) so thats how you tell the difference. If you want to put a 1998 trans in a 1997 it should not have an external filter. 1998 trans with external filter will fit 1999 as well as 2000-02. I put a 2001 trans in a 1998 Outback(it had external filter) and it been working fine for quite awhile.

Gloyale: when subaru switched to the 8 bolt bell housing the lower stud was replaced with a bolt for the engine to tranns.

This is true for Manual trans

Let's clarify....My remarks in this thread were about automatics....I corrected my post to reflect that.

All automatics still have the stud.  Although, to remove the 8 bolt automatic trannies, you must first remove the starter, there is a bolt that is covered by the ear.