Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird vibration over 55mph

After changing a bad rotor (will be changing the other in the next few days) I get a weird vibration over 55mph. The car shakes every 2 seconds or so so its much slower than the rotation of the wheels. What could it be?

loose axle nut? loose lug nuts?

how are your boots on your CV joints? If they are split like mine your joints are dry & heat up at that speed - try shooting a lot of grease into all 4 joints (2 inner & 2 outer) and see if that helps - if it does then you should think about having them rebuilt (approx $100 per axle) if you are over 80,000 mi.

Both axles are brand new, no clicking at all. Not sure about the brakes,

they did seem to drag for the first few minutes and then it stopped and all was good. Could I still have some dragging at speed and not notice it?

Wouldn't that heat up my rotors and makem smoke and what not?

Just because rotors are new, doesn't mean they are ok. I have run across many new ones that were not straight. If you didn't have this problem before changing this rotor, doesn't it make sense that it has something to do with the work that was done? One thing that I have also seen a lot of is rotors that dont sit flat on the hub due to rust build up , even though they are tight they are not flat on the hub.