Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I am an idiot and I hate Volvos...

So here it is...another thread about how little I know about cars and how I got scammed into buying a lemon of a Volvo. Today's issue with the 95 Volvo 960 I bought 2 months ago is an idling problem. I started her up today and it was definately idling incorrectly, when I was stopping it acted like it was going to die. I pulled over immediately and checked my oil...it was bad looking (wrong colour- i.e. thick and milky and smelled somewhat like gasoline). I had an issue similar to this about a month ago, when that happened I had the air flow meter and temp. sensor replaced and new oil change(that was alomost 1,000 miles ago). Okay. So I take it into the guy who sold it to me. I was civil, no cursing, as much as I wanted to freak out and go off on the guy I kept my cool which is hard for me being a quick tempered lady of Irish roots who doesn't take s*** from anybody.

But here's the kicker. The mechanic calls me up and says it was the spark plugs. Really? I find this hard to believe. They changed the plugs and the oil - no charge. He also tells me I need to drive the car on the highway more and that's why the oil is getting gunked like that? True? B.S.?! I guess I really was born yesterday.

Any opinions or thoughts on this situation?

volvos are good cars my friend has 2 850's he put a lot of work into then but they are very nice cars. as for your oil thats bs. don't matter if you drive highway or in town(stop and go) your oil shouldn't sludge like your saying. the person before you might not have taken care of the oil changes as often as they should have. keep it changed about 3000 miles. change the filter also. use a good oil like mobil it will help clean your motor. the gas smell in your oil could be from the bad sensors dumping to much fuel. hope this helps you.

I think the mechanic is full of BS.

But I used to do some Volvo's (until I wised up a bit). A common problem was the fuel pressure regulator. This would end up dumping fuel into the oil.

Thinning is out and raising the lever so that it burned it with white smoke that looked like a head gasket.

But if you're not mechanical, or independently wealthy, I doubt a used Volvo is the car for you.

Edited by davebugs
typing abilities

I won't touch anything beyond the 240 series. The 240s and 140s were great cars. The 850s and newer are junk after a few years of use. My dad bought an 850 after years of 240s and 140s. Thing is nothing but problems. So basicaly sorry to hear of your woes.

Also, I agree that the mechanic is full of it. The spark plugs were a result of the issue and not the issue. Something is causing excess fuel getting into the engine. I like the fuel pressure regulator idea.

Keith