Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok my brother is looking into buying a 1992 Mustang LX Convertable.

The Good.

No rust what so ever

73 Thousand Miles

Nice Paint

The Bad (Long List)

One Flat Tire

Busted Tail Lights

Busted Windshield

Both Doors Hang Slightly

Top is Ripped In a Couple Places.

Interior Is Moldy.

The story behind this is that its a 1 owner car and the Guy gives it to his kid to drive but she doesnt want a car this fast so he parks it. After a year he goes to start it up and finds the top is riped and some mold has started. So he did nothing about it and now 3 years latter hes wanting to get rid of it. It runs and shifts into gear but this interior is something else. I dont even know if you could clean it or even if you ripped the interior out would it still be in the ducts and how bad is that to clean. I personaly love mustangs like this and i think the price is decent for a running car in this shape. But looking on opinions from you guys and on the mold situation, as in if any of you have run into this before.

Thanks Ben

Car is 1000 bucks.

I'd like to think that us up here in Washington might know just a wee bit more than you Iowans do about mold. :rolleyes::grin::lol:

Simple Green will be your best friend. Unless you guys have some sort of exotic "corn mold" :grin: that I'm yet to encounter; you should be able to clean it up pretty well with a bunch of Simple Green, and alot of elbow grease. I've dealt with alot of mold from cars just sitting around in the shade over the course of one of our 9 month winters, and for the most part; almost all mold is cleanable/salvage. Unless it is to the point that the mold has actually started to rot, or degrade the cloth on the seats you should be ok. The plastic parts will all clean up pretty well, just be sure to not leave too high of a concentration of Simple Green on those parts for very long. I have seen higher concentrations of the stuff distort, and even melt some plastic interior parts. It's gonna take some time, some hard work, and in the end it probably won't be like new. However, most of the cars around here have mold damage to some extent, and we still drive them!!

Guys they made a 5.0 LX mustang as well, which is what this is. And he has a Daily Driver, this is just a fun car. Good to hear the mold will clean up. I still dont know if hes going this route as it needs a good amount of work. Awww and fords arent that bad. Every make has problem cars. Ill give him the simple green advise and we will go form there. As far as a flood car i cant be sure but doesnt look that route. It looks like the holes in the top made the interior wet and hot wet summers dont mix.

ben

Edited by The Dude Abides

Yeah. I'm not totally bad mouthing them. They are relevant, if not only because the aftermarket made them so. But, they do have a solid motor to build from. I was just surprised by how much people had talked them up once I got mine. In stock form it was pitifully slow, and mine was supposedly one of the better years. After a lowering kit, and a bit of suspension work my S10 solidly handed my 5.0 it's ***. This despite it being about 800-1000 pounds heavier, short two cylinders-7/10 of a liter, and having leaf spring truck suspension.

That 5.0 never left me walking though, and like I said; NASCAR syled smokey donuts. :grin::grin::grin: