Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice....

Guest giboufou

Ok, here's the story.

I'm buying a 98 Legacy Outback with a torn keyway at the end of the crank (I think someone forgot to torque the bolt). The timing gear is still there ( keyway is ok from that point on)and the engine still runs well. The harmonic balancer sheared off the top of the key making it unusable. The engine (2.5L) has 255000 kms on it. What are my options?

BTW, I live in Canada.

Thanks,

G

Guest intrigueing

Best case have a new keyway put on (I think someone had this done - look at all the timing belt posts). Otherwise you may need to replace the entire crank.

Guest pkdavis300

My 2.2 was the same. I used my Mig welder and re-built (filled void) the key slot on the crank and filed smooth. The crank pulley still wobbled because its keyhole was worn too , but I just bought another to replace (from Oobnuker, thanks). As long as the crankshaft timing gear DOES NOT MOVE any in its key slot, it should be okay. Runs like a top now. I love the power... all the way to 6k.

Guest giboufou

I' thinking of doing one of 3 things:

Welding the bolt (temporarily) on the harmonic balancer so it dosen't spin freely and torquing to specs. (Don't really like this option)

or

Just installing the balancer without key and torquing bolt to specs. Hoping the friction will keep it from spining.

or

Lighlty welding the balancer onto the end of the crank and torquing bolt to spec. (Like this one better, but I'm afraid the heat will damage something along that end of the crank)

I know saying "have it fixed permanantly" is easy to say but I have quite a bit of driving to do to get to my place so I can find a permanent solution. I need to be able to drive t for about 200 kms.

Eventually I think I will fill the keyway and file it down but time is short at the moment.

Opinions are appreciated.

G

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Not being able to see how the parts all look I don't suppose one or 2 holes could be drilled into the end of the assembed units ,parallel with the crank BUT halfway into the crank's side and half the 'hole' in the balancer's opening. Then a hardened pin could be driven in (maybe coated with some Loctite threadlocker?). This would create a new key and keyway sorta. Kinda hard to describe.

just a thought

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest giboufou

Thanks.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was thinking of drilling 2 holes in the balancer aligned with holes in the timing gear, putting spring pins or dowels in there and tack welding them in place.

I'll let you guys know.

Guest canajun2eh

I don't think you need to tack weld those spring pins.

The pulley bolt should be able to hold the pins in place. If its head isn't large enough, simply add a washer of suitable diameter.

Regards,

Gerry Kroll

Ottawa, Canada

2 XT6, 2 Legacy, 1 Loyale.