Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newly acquired BRAT from McBrat many ?'s and parts request

newly acquired BRAT from McBrat http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94177

this is going to be a preservation / restoration / period upgrades

many ?'s and parts request

looking for: topper, hitch, tan horn pad - willing to trade gray, rear ash tray - black - for parking brake cover, trip meter reset button

rs_100_1388.jpg

is there a way to turn OFF the center vents so they do not blow cold ambient air in the chilly winter? while still using them for "hot" air?

rs_100_1406.jpg

how do the rear seats mount?

round air cleaner box... is yours equipped with NISSAN flap motor and plastic air temp sensor controller?

rs_100_1398.jpg

what is the metal box that looks like a relay under the driver seat for?

is there an upgrade for the headlights, perhaps using h3 or similar bulbs?

rs_100_1397.jpg

speedometer seems to be reading 10+ faster than actual with 165/13"

what are you using for 13"?

how to repair the cracked dash?

rs_100_1405.jpg

is there supposed to be a strap for the glovebox door?

reproduction carpet and vinyl for floor??

wild idea: spfi intake boot for cone filter??

carb top is round

TURNING steeringwheel to full lock left, seems to want to suck itself in when almost all the way, is this normal? sure is convenient in parking lots and gas station

how accurate is the fuel meter?

seems more solid and rouger ride than gen 2 brat

where does the A bar mount????

more pics will be added once I buy a NIKON D60

newly acquired BRAT from McBrat http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94177

this is going to be a

seems more solid and rouger ride than gen 2 brat

where does the A bar mount????

more pics will be added once I buy a NIKON D60

seems more solid cause maybe this could hold a topper without the whole back frame dropping to ground from the R stuff

the A bar mounts using the engine crossmember bolts, andbolts to the bumper too.

I think the glove box "strap" was removed for the AC install...

the center vent issue may be fixed by looking at what the prev owner did when he put the switch in.

I can show you how the jump seats mount in in a few weeks, when I get the reb brat back hopefully.

does a gen2 trip meter knob work?

the A bar mounts using the engine crossmember bolts, andbolts to the bumper too.

I think the glove box "strap" was removed for the AC install...

the center vent issue may be fixed by looking at what the prev owner did when he put the switch in.

I can show you how the jump seats mount in in a few weeks, when I get the reb brat back hopefully.

does a gen2 trip meter knob work?

ok

that explains it

how is it supposed to work?

bolt in?

small thread

Edited by subiemech85
forgot a line

Yep, always a stiff ride. Over speed bumps, I swear I leave the ground for a few moments.

As for the headlight upgrades. I have seen this on ebay for quite a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-79-SUBARU-BRAT-EURO-HALO-XENON-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120101311563QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

My fuel guage isn't that accurate. I planned on replacing the sending unit evenutually. But don't know if that's going to fix it. I think the tank holds 11 gallons, and generaly I fill up after 200 highway miles, to play it safe.

My steering wheel does the same thing and yes I too appreciate the tight turning radius.

Those center vents should not be blowing chilly air.

If you figure out a repair for the dash, please tell the rest of us. Otherwise the easiest thing to buy a fabric cover.

And lastly, I have a low roll bar for sale still. It's been in the 'for sale' forum for some time but I don't think there is any real interest yet.

Nice brat!

Yes the glove box has a plastic strap that screws to it on the right side (see 2 holes)? the other end goes in the corresponding slot on the dash side, then has a 90 degree bend on it to keep it from slipping out.

The center vents in my brat NEVER blow worm air either. I think it is from the air being added at the dealer. However the warm air blowns out the dash on the 2 sides right next to the windows.

Also, the AC compressor on yours is deferent than any other gen 1 that I have seen. The original would be a square compressor, called a mini york.

[Also, the AC compressor on yours is deferent than any other gen 1 that I have seen. The original would be a square compressor, called a mini york./QUOTE]

Not really. Lots of us have the Sanden. Mine is original too.

Mick is right about the A/C eliminating the glove box arm.

Need new foam to stop the drafts in the vents. Make sure all sliders are functioning properly too.

On the gen 1 Brats, there's supposed to be mounts welded into the floor of the bed (which typically get cut off) that the bottom frame mounts to. The headrests get mounted right above the rear window, there's tabs for them hanging down.

As for the dash, its already been said unless you can find a mint dash (good luck, ask Paul about that conquest), best bet is to get a carpet cover for it.

The vents should blow in the "vent" position which is pretty self explainitory but since Mick made a mention about the PO putting in a new switch, might want to check to make sure its connected properly. Do you get any heat at all? If not, you could have a faulty heater core valve, which is located on the heater line right under the dash, next to the heater core inlet. Also check the cable that runs to it, seen them freeze up and break.

The relay under the seat looks to be the timer for the seatbelt buzzer/light.

You know who has a mint dash? Jonv23. I've been jealous ever since he posted a pic. :) . But you know what Jon? I just got a mint antenna!!! Do you have one of those? :grin: Well I just had to interject a little. Didn't mean to go on a thread tangent.

But before I quit writing, I just had a great idea. We have to start a thread, "Show us your Gen 1 Dash". That's going to be hilarious.

Yeah, I keep my BRAT in the dark room to keep the dash nice! It is still FLAWLESS! And.........I did find a NOS antenna on ebay about 6 months ago. Had to pay almost a hundred bucks, but at least I have it now! (Just gotta keep the crack heads from using it as a pipe now)!:grin:

• 2 weeks later...

speedometer seems to be reading 10+ faster than actual with 165/13"

what are you using for 13"?

TURNING steeringwheel to full lock left, seems to want to suck itself in when almost all the way, is this normal? sure is convenient in parking lots and gas station

how accurate is the fuel meter?

My 79 uses 170/70 r 13, and seems like I my speedo is accurate, however the trip counter is WAY off, if I drive around the block it says I've gone a mile.

About the turning full left. I've noticed on my brat there is a mar on the wheel assembly that seems like it was made by the bolts that hold it to the cross member. I see it more on the left side than the right, but if I hard lock to the left I hear a pop when the bolts push under.

About the fuel gauge, I don't trust mine at all. I filled the tank the other day (10.5 gal, and I was running on fumes) and when I started up it said I had 3/4 of a tank. every time I start it up it reads something different, however it seems like mine is always under what is in the tank.

progress update: still working on small issues

installed A bar, ideas came to mind about mounting lights to it

made carpet for bed and floormats, looks nice

cleaned and reinstalled hitachi carb, filter adapter approx. 60mm

installed am / fm radio, vac. guage, tach, 2 power ports

still on list:

repair windshield rock chip

replace speaker

swap headilghts and upgrade wiring

repair r-word holes :( and other bodywork