Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy Outback, replacing VC, which other year models match?

Greetings everyone. I am currently trying to find a replacement used transmission or viscous coupler for my 1998 Legacy Outback with 5sp manual.

Can anyone tell me what other years and model Subaru vehicles would have the same part(s) so I can expand my search for a better price?

Thanks

Greetings everyone. I am currently trying to find a replacement used transmission or viscous coupler for my 1998 Legacy Outback with 5sp manual.

Can anyone tell me what other years and model Subaru vehicles would have the same part(s) so I can expand my search for a better price?

Thanks

I believe any AWD 5 spd from 90 up will have the same VC in it. But........

I am curious why you think it needs replaced. You do know the trans has to come apart to change that out, right?

And why wouldn't you just get another trans, far less work unless you are building something custom?

Based on the abundance of information here, the VC is the most logical thing bad with it (torque bind, manual tranny, etc.). I could write up more on my symptoms, but it'd just look like a carbon copy of the other threads already up. I only mentioned doing the vc alone because it *might* cost less if I found a salvage part or something, but that seems to be a bit of a long shot at the moment. I was curious about which years/models might match just so I have more information and options when I do make it to the salvage yard.

I've located a couple salvage yards up here in Minnesota with whole transmissions from matching vehicles for $350, so will most likely be going that route.