Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ SWAP.. Alternator not alternating.

beans

i recently did a ej 22 swap and have been helped with other problems. but as i work on it i find more small problems.. this one is kind of essential to driving.. the alternator isnt charging the battery.. so im pretty sure it is because of the wiring.. i havent hooked up the black wire to anything simply because im not sure where to hook it to.. i have a 1986 subaru gl wagon. i assume it needs to go to a charging light on the dash but there is no charging light i know of.. also i know with the light there is a diode so i dont think i can hook it up to any old light and have it work.. please help i want to drive this thing.

Edited by beans

i recently did a ej 22 swap and have been helped with other problems. but as i work on it i find more small problems.. this one is kind of essential to driving.. the alternator isnt charging the battery.. so im pretty sure it is because of the wiring.. i havent hooked up the black wire to anything simply because im not sure where to hook it to.. i have a 1986 subaru gl wagon. i assume it needs to go to a charging light on the dash but there is no charging light i know of.. also i know with the light there is a diode so i dont think i can hook it up to any old light and have it work.. please help i want to drive this thing.

There for sure is a charge light in you're wagon. Left side of dash, low on the panel with the CEL, Brake, OIL and other lights.

As I remember there should be a wire comming from the alternator that needs switched 12v for the alternator to alternate :)

Sorry Don't remember the colour could be black or yellow or something :confused:

If not connected to a switched 12v source but directly to the battery you can hear a low noice from the alternator.

what year EJ22? there are a few different alternator setups. but most work the same way.

from the page I include with a new harness:

"Large white wire: this is where (as you’ve probably guessed) all the current is. This can be connected directly to the positive battery terminal (a large fusible link is a very good idea), but it might be easiest just to connect directly to the large white wire that went to your old Alt.

Yellow wire: This wire is for the voltage regulator. It needs 12v+ when the ignition is on. Very little draw here, so it can come from virtually anywhere. There is an existing wire in the EA harness that will work well for this.

Black with White: This is for the charge light on the dash. It will get grounded if the yellow is getting 12v+ but the alt is not charging. Completely optional."

if you've got good continuity between the large white wire and the battery. and you've got 12v+ at the yellow wire while the ignition is on. than it's not your wiring.