Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what say you - 78 brat

Well hang on now. A brat is my daily driver. It's may not be fast as everything else out there, but its fast enough. More importantly, it's fun as heck.

But yep, that one is too expensive. I agree, $3500 tops. The things that aren't correct wouldn't bother me too much, as they can be fixed pretty easy.

Sorry but I must add .... "I'm doing 90(mph) and you're getting away from us".

That was my wife on the cell phone following me or trying to ,on the way back from one of the Import Shows at Carlsile. I'm in the '78 4WD wagon and she's with the kids in the '96 Legacy 2.2 :grin:

OK, sorry for the newbie questions, but thanks for all of the opinions/information!

What's incorrect about the grille--the silver, rather than black color?

Speed seems to be a subjective thing... I remember feeling like my Loyale was fast when I learned to drive in it:lol:. But is the EA71 going to be a disappointment--even with a Weber? I ride motorcycles for my "speed quotient" and don't really rely on my car for that; I just want to be sure I can keep up with traffic when I need to.

On a separate note, here's why I'm attracted to a Brat: I like simplicity, and would like to have a car I can work on (even if only fiddling with the carburetor or changing the brakes). Brats are just so straightforward! No funny business, no excess, just a great little Subaru engine, two seats (er, maybe four), and a bed. (And 4WD to boot!) I'd love to hear how others first became attracted to their Brats...

do you drive daily in interstate traffic, or at least occasionally? if so, the BRAT is not a good daily driver.

68-73 hp no good for many normal driving roads where the speed limit is above 55mph

I just have to respectfully disagree. Up until recently I was driving my Brat 80 miles a day on Los Angeles freeways. And by that I mean, it's stop and go one minute, then everyone is doing 85 the next minute. I never had a problem, I could pass when I wanted, weave in and out of traffic.

Yep, like you mcrae0104, I have motorcycles for when I need my "speed quotient", and I enjoy the brat because it is so simple to work on even an amateur mechanic like myself can make some progress. You totally sounds like a Brat type of guy, but if you are looking for something that needs a little filddling and tinkering, I think you can find something for much cheaper.

Just my 2 cents

I commuted in my 1978 BRAT for about a year and I have to tell you it wasn't as nice to drive as my 1998 Legacy Outback. Don't get me wrong I loved my BRAT and it was fun to drive, but you can't beet the power, handling & creature comforts of a newer car. My commute involved several hills and highways so I didn't really enjoy trying to do 60 mph in 3rd gear up a hill. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if your commute was flat and you didn't need to go that fast.

Well, Crabman, you're convincing me. I do drive about 10 mi a day on the interstate in Denver @ 70 mph or so, but it sounds do-able. I do understand that the handling/creature comforts will be something less than modern :-\ ...

I'm going to see how far they'll come down on price--if so, I'll take the plunge; if not, I'll have to wait until I have a garage so I can start from a cheaper one--more of a project car than daily driver.

Thanks again all!

Driving on the interstate isn't impossible, it's just not the same as a newer, more powerful car. It's a bit louder, but in my opinion, it's also a lot more fun. You can't compare it to a '95 Legacy or a '98 Outback, they're not the same at all. If you want a cool, unusual car that's a kick to drive, that you can work, and that is judst plain cool, then get a Brat.

you might also want to consider a gen 2. A bit bigger & a 1.8 instead of a 1.6.

hey, i drove a 78 brat for 4 years, i drove into downtown portland on 26 down and up the sylvan hill. my commute was 45miles one direction. my brat was able to do so in the fast lane, but if i needed to pass someone really fast it wouldnt happen, ever. although i had alot of fun in that truck. mine was stock with the hitachi and thats the only way i would run due to the flat spots in the weber and the lack of gas milage. also as for the extra noise on the freeway you will want either a really loud stereo or ear plugs. but the brat is definatly dooable as a daily.

I personally enjoy driving my brat as a dd, but it does get tiresome after a while.

And she is ALWAYS overpriced.

Especially on Subaru's of any year.

I say keep the loyale and the EA82 and wait to find a piecer like I did. :banana:

Oh, and a 4 speed is a nightmare on the freeway.

Especially with only 73 hp.

I have scared every person that has ever ridden with me on the freeway. :-p

(or maybe that was on dirt roads... :lol:)

Twitch

Heck, i drove my second BRAT, the 77' with no pass window and no heat through all six winter months 50 mile round trip to work and back. It was all back roads but the thing ran great and i could go two weeks on a tank of gas. I need to fill my Legacy up twice a week for the same distance. :(

Eh, really need to one of my BRATs back together and i plan on useing it as a daily. :)

Heck, i drove my second BRAT, the 77' with no pass window and no heat through all six winter months 50 mile round trip to work and back. It was all back roads but the thing ran great and i could go two weeks on a tank of gas. I need to fill my Legacy up twice a week for the same distance. :(

Eh, really need to one of my BRATs back together and i plan on useing it as a daily. :)

Take and put your legacy motor in your BRAT and you'll get better gas mileage and more power. My hatchback gets great gas mileage with an EJ22 in it and I don't have any problems with hills.

I love the styling of the old school Subaru, but also love the driveability of a new school Subaru. That's why I built my hatchback.